Just moved to the Philippines from Mexico

Hi everyone,

Im a new member, I just got to the Philippines from Mexico. And ready to meet people and share experiences and tips about this country.

Just contact me and lets chat.

Welcome to the Philippines. I'm a Gringo from California. Although you and I have come here from two different cultural reference points, I believe that you'll find yourself just as much "at home" here as I am. American expats are comfortable here, because there is a strong cultural affinity between the Philippines and the United States. However, you'll find that there is also a great deal of Hispanic -- more specifically, Mexican -- culture here. As you know, many Filipinos have Spanish surnames, and you'll hear an occasional Spanish word interlaced with Tagalog, Cebuano, and other Filipino dialects. You'll also encounter some food that is familiar to you -- like chorizo and empanadas. You may already know that, when the Philippines and Mexico were still part of the Spanish Empire, these islands were NOT governed from Madrid. They were, instead, governed from Mexico City. You've, no doubt, heard of the Manila Galleons (Galeónes de Manila) that sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco from 1565 until Mexican independence in 1815. Perhaps you'd like to read the two following articles from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_galleonhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_s … hilippines

Enjoy your time here -- however long or short it may be.

Thanks GRAILSEEKER

Yes I want to enjoy the most possible while I'm here, we moved with my wife because she is filipina and yes some words are very spanish. Thank you for the info I will take a look.

Thank you

Oh... One more thing...

After reading your post, I noticed that you're from Morelia. Like you, I'm married to a Filipina (maiden name Pedroza). My first wife, however, is Mexican (maiden name Olea). Her family was originally from Hermosillo. My daughter is now married to a gentleman whose parents are from Morelia. His last name is Cuevas, and his mother's maiden name is Ayala.

I just thought I'd share the information with you.

oh really, maybe I know him. Morelia is a very small city, almost like a town. So small this world. Thank for share this with me. And how long have you been living on the philippines?

have a nice day.

My son-in-law, Javier Cuevas, wasn't born in Morelia. He was born in Redwood City, California. It is his parents who are from Morelia. They, too, are now living in California. I don't recall his father's first name. However, his mother's maiden name is Maria Ayala. Perhaps someone in Morelia knew her and remembers her.

As for me, I've been living here since September of last year.