Understanding residency and employment in costa rica

Hi I need assistance. Currently about to marry the Costa Rican woman I fell in love with. My problem is in understanding residency and employment. After reading many articles I believe I understand the residency pitfalls and time it requires, however I;m not understanding employment opportunities. Can someone tell me if I will be allowed to work in order to support me and my wife?
Thank You
Brian

I don't think you can work.  You can start a business online or another type of business but you can't take a job from a Costa Rican.

Hi Brian,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Costa Rica forum.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Yes you can.

Once your application is complete and you have your cedula in hand, you can work.  However, wages will be low and it could still take up a year to happen.

Immigration will want to check past photos, from family gatherings, vacations, etc, to be sure that this marriage is not a just 'marriage of convenience'.

You cannot work legally until you have your "permanent residency."  This is according to two different lawyers I spoke with.  You will first need to obtain temporary residency.  After two years you can apply for your permanent residency.  In reality, this will consume about 3 1/2 years due to the time it takes to apply for each.

With a temporary residency you can own and run a business but you cannot perform the work.  It's required that you hire Tico's.  (Again, this is according to the lawyers I talked to.)

As previously stated, you can work on-line if you have something available to you.

- Expat Dave

If married to a CR citizen or a parent of a baby born here, you are entitled to work while still in Temporary Residency status, and it will state this on the reverse side of the cedula.

"Temporary residency (unconditional): Unconditional temporary residency is granted to spouses of Costa Ricans. Like permanent residents, unconditional temporary residents are not subject to employment restrictions."

kohlerias wrote:

If married to a CR citizen or a parent of a baby born here, you are entitled to work while still in Temporary Residency status, and it will state this on the reverse side of the cedula.

"Temporary residency (unconditional): Unconditional temporary residency is granted to spouses of Costa Ricans. Like permanent residents, unconditional temporary residents are not subject to employment restrictions."

Sorry, my mistake.  I missed the part that he's in the process of marrying a Tica.  I stand corrected.

- Expat Dave

No problem   :cool:

Hope you know that if you ever have any issues with your marriage, it is said that Costa Rica law will side with her every time.
For example - I heard this; can't swear it's true - if a woman gets pregnant and says its yours, the law will assume it is yours unless you can prove otherwise and you will pay child support.

The system of law in  Costa Rica is guilty until proven innocent, not innocent until proven guilty like in the USA.

This will hopefully never be a problem for you nor me ... but one should be aware of it.