Benzodiazepine (diazepam, Xanax) availability in China

I'm considering a hastily conceived relocation to Nanning, China but have heard access to English speaking doctors is difficult and prescription meds with Narcotic effects are very strictly controlled.

I have ample medical records, letters, prescription s etc which would satisfy any clinician in the West and only require a regular supply of Valiium type medication but my Chinese National wife (who will be joining me in the PRC 4 to 6 weeks once her contract in Thailand finishes) is issuing dire warnings about access to Western, anglophone health care.

Any info/advice greatfuly received.

Konjean, Welcome to Nanning.

Regarding the medications you indicated, you should know these types of drugs are very tightly controlled by the Ministry of Health and other agencies.

Although many of gthe medications are packaged in small quantities, for example packs of ten or twenty, your prescribing doctor will only be able, by law, to prescribe one pack at a time, non refillable.

You should try to find a hospital in Nanning with an English department for foreigners.  Then you may find a sympathetic ear to your case.

I hope I have been of some assistance.

David