Just arrived today!

Hi everyone my name is Chuck. I just moved to Dalian today from Chengdu, China where I lived and taught for a year and a half. I really don't know much about Dalian considering it's my first day here and I would like to know everything. Any helpful information would help. My job is located near zhong san lu so yeah just let me know.

Chuck

Welcome on Expat.com Chuck :)

Hey Chuck,

I'm of no help right now, but I will be going there in about a month to teach. First time, i have lived in the US all my life, well except for first grade. lol but anyways, would like to keep in touch and maybe you can tell me about your experiences and how it was when you first started. Good luck, this forum seems like a pretty amazing communication tool.

Welcome

hi Chuck!

I just moved here and saw your above post, have you made any discoveries that would help out a newcomer? This is my first free weekend to explore and any recommendations from people would be great!

I am native chinese now working in DDA, Dalian for 4 months back from Germany, give me a head up if u need any information.

well if you need to buy anything yoou should go tu the corean market behind the train station, is pretty close to zhongshan square, everything there is much cheaper than in the malls, i mean things for the house and stuff.
if you want to buy groceries there is Tesco, carrefour in the area, but you can also find walmart taking bus 23 to Olimpic square...there is also a Metro taking the bus 408, right next to the metro there is an Ikia (furniture store) and a Decathlon (sport store) very good quality  product for low price...well the places to visit for night activities are Friends Bar, Bobos bar, Daves bar, among the clubs is Jds and Mango, for good food Indian restaurant Abashi, german restaurant golden Golden hands...for tradicional and non spensive chinese food you can choose among the many restaurants along the hill on the right side od DAWAI dalian university of foreign languages that is right on the hill..very easy to find and a good place to chat with people from many countries that study there...good luck this is a really amusing city