Over-stayed Olympic Games Exemption

Hello, a friend over-stayed his Olympic Games exemption by 90 days. So in total he was in Brazil for 180 days. He is now in Argentina and wants to apply for a tourist visa at the Brazilian Consulate and return to Brazil, having been out of Brazil for only a week. What are his chances of having his application approved?
His plan is to marry his fiancé in Brazil. Would it be better to marry in Buenos Aires and then apply for a permanent residency to live in Brazil.
Thanks for any insight.

To my knowledge you are only allowed 180 days per year in Brazil if you don't have permanency. If he has never been issued a visa and was here visa free because of the olympics then that makes matters a little confusing since he overstayed 90 days. It would be best to contact the Policia Federal, Immigration Police or the consulate that represents him. The number to the Immigration Police is 011 55 79 3223 2969
Policia Federal 011 55 79 3234 8500. If he plans on getting married here in Brazil then he must start preparing now to get all desired documents. You will find all info needed in this forum. Best to get married in Buenos Aires. Best of luck

Thank you for your prompt response. So it seems very unlikely that he would be  issued a tourist visa so soon. If I understand correctly, you count the days from the first  entry into Brazil. In his case, he entered Aug.23 2016 so he must wait until August 23, 2017 before he can re-enter  Brazil on a tourist visa?

Regarding the plans for marriage, might you have any knowledge on whether getting married in Buenos Aires to a Brazilian would be a less bureaucratic process than in Brazil?

Yes, a very less bureaucratic process for marriage in Argentina. I just got married here in Aracaju 2 months ago and all the paperwork and documents I had to get was horrendous. I would call the numbers I provided to get better clarification on a visa. If he was never issued one then he might be able to get a visa and return promptly. I am not sure on how the overstay for olympic games works. I do know when i went and got my visa extension last year they counted every day i had been here to determine my 180 days. And many officials here said 180 is the max in one year from the date of first entry. He might have to wait until Aug 24. Praying for the best

Again, Thanks so much for sharing  your very helpful information.