Freedom of movement act for spouses of EU citizens

Im a non Eu citizen and my wife is irish. We live in Budapest for a year now. We wish to go and celebrate my wifes birthday in Ireland. As a husband of an Eu citizen and holding a residency card as family member of an Eu citizen, the law explicitly says that i dont need a visa as long as my wife is traveling with me and that i dont intend to exceed 3 months in Ireland. I called the Irish embassy in budapest to make sure but they told me that i still need a visa and it will take a month to get it...
I dont understand why there is a law but not implemented... the embassy tells me that but the Irish department of foreogn afairs webstite states the oposite..
Any experience... can any one help

You should not require a visa

I agree, you shouldn't need a visa since you have the family residency card to another EU state. As long as you don't stay over 90 days which would violate the CTA rules, everything should be fine.

Sometimes these things are tricky though, I have a Sri Lankan friend here in Ireland and even if she has a residency in here and a 2-year family visa to UK, she still needs a tourist visa to travel in Schengen... While my own partner (not married), a Canadian citizen with a residency in Ireland, can just travel around as he pleases now that he lives inside EU. You could try and contact the Garda Immigration Bureau in Ireland and ask them for a final opinion. Best of luck!