Cape Town to Dublin

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum as just signed up seeking some questions i have answered...Lol...

I have worked in the UK whilst still in my early 20's and loved the time i had and friends i had made, now returned back to SA.

I am thinking of moving over to Ireland with my family of 4. (Myself, Spouse, Twins Girls) We current both working in senior skilled roles.

Myself: National Client Relationship Manager
Spouse: Account Administrator - currently 2nd year Financial Degree.
Kids: Grade 2

1. Would i require a a work visa to source a job there ?
2. Would i need a visa should i decide to put my skills picked up over the last 15 years plus to open a business to service the locals ?
3. Would my wife require a work visa to apply for work and how long visa is minimum ?
4. Do you need visa to rent a property ?
5. Purchase a motor vehicle ?
6. Are the people friendly towards Indians ? (We speak fluent english Durban style)
7. Any laws would be broken should i decide to open a small business charge not VAT / Taxes at first to save up and then become legal...

Let me know peeps, i really appreciate the advice in advance.

Hi Mr Indian and welcome to the forum. :)

You've not had any answers yet, so to try and give you something to work with.  First off, at the top of the page is the link to our Handy Tools section; in there are articles that you may find useful in planning your move to Ireland.

For anything else, I don't have any direct experience of moving to Ireland, but you'll probably find a lot of information from this Irish Citizens Information Board  website.

With regards to your "small business" question - not all items are subject to VAT and you haven't said what you're selling.  This link will take you to the Irish tax authority website and may help you.  My own opinion - be careful, if you get caught doing something you shouldn't, you may find yourself on the first plane back to SA.

Hope this helps. :)

Hello there Cynic,

Many thanks for your response, and you have helped already as i can gather my bearings with the site and navigate etc.

Cheers :-)