Getting by on 4100 euro pm gross?

Hi All,

My wife received a job offer in Germany, 4100euro per month, the company is in the Altstadt in Dusseldorf, after tax and using a tax calculator (iii) it seems her net would be around 2800, would this be enough for food, rent, utilities etc, we won't have a car as the company pays her travel and I will be a stay at home dad to our 2 1/2 year old until we are settled and then I would most probably start working myself. Also is it realistic to live more out of town and commute in order to get a lower rent?

EUR2800/month after deductions is more than the German average family (with 1.6 kids) earns. Thus it should be sufficient, unless you have exuberant needs or cannot get used to local ways of life.
Renting out of town is usually cheaper, but you pay for it by longer commutes and less social life - I won't recommend that for a newcomer.
Do register your kid for child care as soon as you arrive (or earlier if possible), as the waiting lists tend to be looong!

We lived in Golzheim, which was out of the city centre; the tram ran into the altstadt from there.

I live on less and so do many others. But it is certainly not a lot. I guess it depends on your expectations. Being lower middle class and watching your budget can be fine. If you aspire to someday have a luxurious villa and a Porsche then you will be disappointed. And here is the absolutely most important financial tip ever; live within your means and always budget for the occasional unexpected expense. The reality is that many people have financial problems – although they are educated and earn well. The problem is that they try to live a bit too far above what they can afford. One can earn 10,000 Euros a month and go in debt if you spend 11,000. Increase that income to 1 million a month and you will still be in trouble if you spend 2 million. Just ask Johnny Depp or any of the other famous people one hears about with money problems.