Following fashion in Oman

Hi everyone,

Do you follow fashion trends in Oman? Every country and every culture has its own dress code. As far as you are concerned, have you changed the way you dress?

Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Oman? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

What do Omanis usually wear or like to wear the most?

Share your experience!

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla ,

Thanks for the question ; It is a very interesting issue.

I come from Lebanon on the Mediterranean sea , a country  known to be the hub between West and East,the majority of the Lebanese people wear the Western suits or casual shirt and pants/jeans ( for men) and the European fashionable dress ,jube, blouse and trousers/jeans  ( for ladies).
1-- So my answer to your first question is : No , I didn't change the way I dress at my home country.

2-- Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Oman? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

Definitely Musqat is very rich in fashion shops where everyone ( local and expat)  of all ages and calibers can find fancy clothing at unbelievably inexpensive prices satisfying all tastes and within all budgets, not to forget the numerous shops of fancy shoes .Where is that ,in all malls not to mention Centre Point.

3-- What do Omanis usually wear or like to wear the most?

In Oman one can notice clearly that there is the National dress for both men and women
I don't know much about Omani ladies' costumes,The (Abaya) and (Hijab)  is a typical outfit for the Gulf woman in general but as we all know they are tidy, fashionable and care much for quality.
Omani men wear the national costume which we all know; I know from my friends that it is a must to wear the gown /long  robe ,a full length garment, loose fit, long sleeves  ( Dishdasha) only if well washed, well ironed and well tailored . Disdasha is white in Summer and dark colour in Winter. Under the dishdasha the (wazar) is wrapped at the waist ( stands for pants for other fashions). The outfit is completed by Omani cap ( Kumma) and Omani sandal / open shoes ( Nahl) . In the official occasions or special events the Mussar ( a turban ) is to be worn over the kumma with the belt/centre at the waist and a dagger (khanjar) . He in addition to the above may hold a (bisht) or a  (shal) or a sword depending on the occasion.
Omani clothing for National dress are not cheap since they are generally made up of hi quality materials, imagine  as an example a kumma is made of genuine cotton and stitched and embroidered  by hand .