Thoughts on This Property Area?

Ok, of course I need to actually come there to see the different areas that "speak to me" before deciding.  But I still like to look anyway, just for fun.  Also to get ideas for areas, price, etc.  I do seem to stay on the west side, for some reason.  Rincon sounds appealing to me, as they often describe it as laid back, and also the fact that there are a lot of English speakers does seem less stressful, in case I have trouble with Spanish.  But I have read about the Cabo Rojo area, with the nice beaches?  I thin that a lot of locals go there on weekends though, so it may be really busy and loud?  However I never know which areas they are talking about, so not sure.  I found a less expensive lot there, although I have to admit, since I don't have a lot of funds, the price is still much higher than I could afford.  Also the area is considered completely off grid, so that would likely increase all the costs a lot, to add all the solar, wells, septic, etc.  And then no roads, etc?  Pretty crazy I suppose, as it likely wouldn't ever get services in the area? 

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/PR … ect/13_zm/

This is the lot.  It looks really flat too, so I am guessing that water would be an issue?  There is also a lot of clearing that would need to be done.  There is a wood cabin there, that would also have to go,  which adds more cost.  But could maybe use it for a short time?  I notice that is it also off the ground on stilts, which would lead me to believe that they are trying to prevent water.  And I really need a one story house, preferably with not a lot of stairs.  I do think that a second floor is safer to sleep maybe, and I may have to take that into consideration.  But I don't want to have stairs must to get in the house all the time.

There is another one there as well, that looks really close, but the price is exhorbitant compared to this one.  It is larger or course but the prices are very different.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/ho … ect/14_zm/

That lot looks pretty with the different colors, from the air, but on the ground, don't know if you would notice  it when at ground level.  It may have hills there, but can't tell.  That clearly is WAY over my price range.  I couldn't even afford it and live in a tent!  Ha!  Again, it is in an undeveloped area, which I think is way too risky for me.  I may feel way too isolated, plus not to have city services may be whay too challenging for me too.

Anyone have thoughts to share with me?  Have you determined that I am bona fide crazy by now?  Goodness knows my friends and family do, at the thought of moving to Puerto Rico!!!  Thanks for all your help, input and support.

Do your homework, both lots are off the path. First most likely you will be off the grid, so even the water will have to be truck in. Not even mentioned if DNR will allow you to add a septic tank since it is sand soil. During hurricane season the surch will be on your property. If you decide to build a house, most lumber yards will not be able to deliver without roads. So you may have to pay for one to be build. At that price range, you should be able to buy one already built with ocean view.

But this is just my opinion.

The 1st one is not an acre, its like .90 of an acre. 197k is WAY TOO MUCH FOR AN ACRE. Combate beach is very popular in that area but at that price it is way too much. Due to location I would pay at most 85K but probably 35k since it is off grid and to make it functional you will have a shitload of expenses.

The second one is very close to 600k and makes no difference if you do not have that kind of money. So I am not even going to bother reading the full listing.

Any way combate beach is very popular and busy during weekends.

Even the first one is outside my budget, you still need build the house. By the time you build the house, road, water tank,etc you are looking at 400k.  One story is fine but likely I would investigate as it may need to be on stills. Make a ramp is you don't like steps. When you get old you can use a wheel chair on the ramp. You are scaring yourself. You will be fine.

Look for things you can afford and think about the price of the house. $88 a square foot is a nice average price to look at, maybe you can get it lower but prepare for 88 for your estimate.

By the way, not likely you can get a loan for it. Lot is too expensive and no facilities so not marketable for the bank.

The second property is known as Punta Melones.  It is just to the north of the Villas del Mar, a collection of weekly vacation rentals.  You would probably have access to water and power.  I imagine you would have to add a septic field.   The property is elevated, so storm surge shouldn't be an issue, though I don't think there's any real beach there.  Los Pozos beach, on Boqueron, is to the north.  That's a quiet beach.

Those trails that you see are for 4-wheelers, dirt bikes and dune buggies, which seem to make some fun of the vacant land. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aWHq5pErcA

Bear in mind  that all beaches are open to everyone. Even if you own property next to (on) a beach, you cannot stop anyone from using the beach.  That also means that if you want privacy, you will have to have a fence or wall to stop people on the beach from  accessing your property.

All those off road vehicles may also be a problem. Young drivers, drunk driving and making noice not my cup of tea.

Thanks for all of your input.  Yes, I would never, nor Could I pay that much for any of those lots!  Especially the second one.   I do think that I would not want one with absolutely no services available.  I felt that they were vastly overpriced maybe?  I am not anywhere near those prices.  I need the entire thing to be less than the price of first lot!   Just trying to get ideas about things I don't know.  Thanks.

For the future make sure the property in question has a registered title, not just a purchase contract from the previous "owner" and that is is registered with crim. A lot of people have basically taken over lands that were public and had occupied those lands for many years, some way back 75 years. That does not mean that one day they will not be evicted. Also areas like that could be limited as to being able to get a construction permit or may be considered protected areas which means the environment protection Agency may come one day knowing in somebody door. Not all properties are listed with Crim, they are too lazy to go ask for a property to be listed with them and charge you property taxes. Not sure how that would need to be handled, that is why everyone should have a lawyer representing them, not just 1 for both of you.

You are new to the island, make sure what you buy is legal so you can enjoy it for the rest of your life. You worked for your money.