From Tourist - Residency

Hi,

I am planning to move into Malta and I am a Canadian Citizen.

Regarding the Quote below.
"You can use your tourist visa while you sort things out and settle in and, in the meantime, apply for residency while you are in Malta."

I can visit Malta but after that, I am not sure what will be my next step to achieve my goal.

Please advise.

Your input will be helpful/appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

@Pitch7102

Please see: 'I've basically been kicked out of the country' - US expat slams Identity Malta - As she packs her bags for Rome, Lisa Crawford says red tape has upended her life - The Sunday Times of Malta, 15th January, 2017:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … pat.636527

Fionn wrote:

@Pitch7102

Please see: 'I've basically been kicked out of the country' - US expat slams Identity Malta - As she packs her bags for Rome, Lisa Crawford says red tape has upended her life - The Sunday Times of Malta, 15th January, 2017:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … pat.636527

I know this might be a bit off topic, but I've seen that story somewhere else, too, so I'd like to say that as tragic and sad this might be for this American woman, she IS a TCN, and as such, is bound to face problems when trying to live long-term in any EU country. Just because she is US-American doesn't make her situation any different to other TCNs (from Serbia, from Turkey, from Iraq...), and why should it?

I do have nothing at all against US Americans, I have friends from the US (also in Malta), but sometimes I'm surprised how Americans feel discriminated against if they are not treated (in any EU country) like EU citizens. In Austria, e.g., they will have to pass a German test to be allowed to live here, something Americans who are looking into working/settling here often like to complain about.

To get back to the OP's topic: I'd advise you to research well BEFORE coming here as a tourist. Just as I - as a European - would have to do if I wanted to move to Canada or the US. (Which can be very difficult or near impossible - at least it was when I was looking into it about 10 years ago...)

Best of luck with your venture
Bernie

Thanks Bernie.

Tit for tat  :D
As EU citizen it's also very difficult to get a residence permit or even work permission in USA.