EU married with non EU

Hello,

My name is Nicolas, I am french so from EU. My wife is non EU. For now we are both living in Denmark so my wife as a residence permit for 5 years as she is under the EU rule.

I found a job in UK and I would like to know how it works for my wife for her to join me. What are the procedures? Does she need to apply to some visa or to some residence card? What are the steps? Can she join me before she got all the papers or should I need to start working and going alone in UK and she will have to join me once she will get all the documents?

I am lost so all the help would be grantly appreciated.
thank you in advance very much
Nicolas

Look up EEA Family Permit on the GOV.UK website.  That should get you going :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I read that as she was holding a residence card from eu as we live in Denmark, she did not need a visa to enter UK. Apparently this is a new amendment from 2015.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Nicolas

Nico75 wrote:

I read that as she was holding a residence card from eu as we live in Denmark, she did not need a visa to enter UK. Apparently this is a new amendment from 2015.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Nicolas

Greetings Nicolas,

I think this what you are looking for, Entering the UK as the holder of an Article 10 residence card

Do you hope to stay in the UK permanently?

I would Apply for a UK residence card

I hope this is of some use to you.

Simon

I can stay in Uk as I am French so getting a job it won't be a problem.

My wife is non eu so to enter in UK she would have to apply for a visa but as she is already holding a eu residence card according to article 10 she can enter in UK without visa.

Then if she wants to stay with me permanently I guess she has to apply to a residence permit? Can she easily get it?

Thanks
Nicolas

Well as you are married that is a bonus, can she speak English? Oh and as long as she can be supported financially I can see no problem with her entering the UK. I am no expert, but I do know that you have to have all your paperwork sorted out before entering so there will be no delays.

You could try the British Embassy Copenhagen

Kastelsvej 36-40, 2100 København Ø, Denmark
Phone: +45 35 44 52 00

Usefull information on immigration in the UK

Simon

Hi

Thanks a lot. Yes she can enter UK without problem but to stay longer than 3 or 6 months I guess she will have to apply for a UK residence card. To get an EU residence card this is pretty fast and easy if you are married with an eu guy, you directly get 5 years without doing test or anything. Is it similar in UK?

I think so, but I can't confirm it 100%, but as you are married I can't see why not. It's not like you want to move with your girlfriend for instance. As the UK is not in the Euro Zone they do have slightly different rules.

You can contact the Home Office here if you have any questions. I think there is also an online application form as well.

Simon

Thanks a lot Simon really appreciated your help

You are most welcome Nicolas, I hope you get some answers, let us know how you get on.

Regards

Simon

I just found this

Citizens from the European Economic Area (EEA) have the right to free movement and residence throughout the EEA. This right also extends to certain family members, even if they are not EEA citizens. A residence card of a family member of an EEA citizen is issued to the family member to confirm this right of residence. The holder of a valid residence card is entitled to use this document for entry to all EEA member states.

At the moment, the EEA member states are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Oh then this is great, She will have the same rights she has in denmark. Thanks a lot Simon!

Yes she can if she has the “Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen” written on her permit.Pratically, what she need have is your marriage certificate, your prove of employment(bills and bank statement), if you are not yet in the UK, just prove you will be taking up a job as soon as you get to the UK, go together with your spouse to the UK embassy or rather, at the port entry, you wife gets 6months stamp on her passport.
This I know because my mom got a 6months stamp in September(she didn't travel with my dad,so, there was a delay at the Airport but my younger siter was with her, she has the Italian passport,so, I guess they considered that.She had with her though, her marriage certificate, dad's contacts , prove that dad lives in the UK etc...).
My Dad came December and he travelled with my mom back to the UK and she was stamped with another 6months, she was told she could apply at the Embassy and stamped with 5 years if she presents all documents with her Residence Permit of a Family Member of a Union Citizen.

Goodluck!

Thank you very much for this.

As we are currently leaving in Denmark, do we have to go the the U.K. Embassy in denamark in order for her to get the U.K. Residence card?

Because I though with article 10 she did not need a visa ?

Thanks for the clarification

No.If what she has now does not have the “Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen” written on it, you can then go to the UK Embassy to ask for an EEA FAMILY PERMIT," https://www.gov.uk/family-permit", pls read through.

And also read through this, https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati … ard", you will get  a better perspective of the article.

You mean the U.K. Embassy in Denmark?

She already has a residence permit for family from Denmark as we are currently living in Denmark

Alright then, go give it a trial, it's shouldn't be any hard.

Best of Luck!