The holiday season in Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in Costa Rica? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in Costa Rica? How do Costa Ricans celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

Well.... we were planning on having a pleasant Christmas season (not Holiday Season) again this year, but unfortunately my neighbour had to fire on two wanna be thieves last night and one is in bad shape.  It's truly sad that the petty theft problem down here is so out of control.  What I want for Christmas is less crime in Costa Rica, and for government to find some way of creating employment for all the lost young men and women in this country.

So sorry..wow where do you live As I have said MANY times it DOES depend where you live regarding crime...

Petty crime is a major problem throughout the country no matter what region you are in.  The young guy we caught two years ago on our property now works for us as a gardener, he was just desperately unemployed and actually hungry.  My wife is teaching him English and we are happy to have been able to get him on the right track.  More of us foreigners should be reaching out to try and help young Ticos.

Sanbuenaventuraman wrote:

Petty crime is a major problem throughout the country no matter what region you are in.

Unreal observation ..... Everything I own is at the top of my driveway and just yesterday Evalio came up my drive to let me know I had left my lights on (and did not pilfer anything that was in the open.)  Such generalizations are hurtful and I am sorry you have had these experiences.  Hope Costa Rica treats you better (like we are treated).

Life does not need to treat me any better as this has been a fantastic place to live, it's just an unfortunate situation that so many young people have nothing more to do with their lives than to get involved in petty theft.  Anyone who plans to vacation or move down here should educate themselves on how not to get robbed in this paradise.  http://www.twoweeksincostarica.com/safe … osta-rica/

Just this morning this article describes a recent robbery.

"A Costa Rican tourism police station in Santa Teresa, on Costa Rica's Nicoya Peninsula, was robbed on Friday after two men locked up an officer at the station in the Pacific beach town.

According to Tourism Police Director Fulvio Fernández, the two men on motorcycles lured the cop out of the building by asking for help before they pulled a gun on him and led him into a room where they locked him up.

The subjects then proceeded to steal three pistols before fleeing, Fernández said."

Full article on the website above.

Thanks for that post Kohlerias,

I walked past the police station in Parrita last week and noticed that the police motorcycles were parked inside the building next to the officers desks, how sad is that when police can't even park their motorcycles outside due to fear of them being stolen.   I think Costa Rica needs a new president like the one they recently elected in the Philippines "who is really tough on crime", and has requested that police start shooting criminals instead of arresting them.  We can only pray for Costa Rica.

Unfortunately, the original topic was hijacked... :offtopic:

Many Christmas festivities are held in the San José area and most are free. and usually begin at the early in December.