American engineer/ business analyst guy here. I will be visiting Mauritius in the middle of February next year for a 1 week exploration trip along with my best friend. We both are intrigued by your island, it's peaceful and serene nature and how well many cultures and religions get along, and want to see if it's the right place for us to potentially relocate to (we're both unhappy about the direction U.S. is taking)... we'd like your help planning an itinerary that gives us a good sense of the island, from the perspective of what it's like to live there. Yes as this is our first trip we'd like to relax and see some must see tourist highlights too, but our overall purpose is getting a feeI for what it's like to live and work in Mauritius. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We furthermore had the following questions:
- How expensive are taxis? We are trying to decide between renting a car and using buses or taxis to get around in the island (with 1 suitcase each). The thing is that we're both used to driving on the right side with automatic transmission cars, so it would be quite a drastic change to get used to driving there.
- will it likely be very rainy in February/ should we plan mostly indoor activities?
- what amount of French would you say is required to get by and do day to day business?
- Cost of living wise, I've heard varying accounts, that's it's both more and less expensive than US. Is there a general sense someone can give me?
- As foreigners, what will be the biggest change we'll likely experience? Are there some particular things to watch out for/caution?
- From a professional perspective, are there specific engineering or consulting firms there that have major presense and likely to have job openings for expats we should look into networking with (e.g. on linkedin). Unfortunately my company does not.