British & Norwegian marriage

Hello everyone, I've been having a bit of a confusing time with just one item the UDI need to apply for my marriage. "A confirmation from a relevant authority of the marital status of the applicant and reference person (no older than six months)".

After calling both the UDI and British embassy several times both have stated that the other provides the form and are generally unable to answer my questions. After looking at their websites I can not find the form and after some searching online (mainly from posts from people marrying in other countries across many forums) it sounds like I have to type it out myself simply saying I have never been married before along with age, DOB, passport number, etc and taking it to the British Embassy to sign in front of them and have it stamped. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thank you for the help to anyone who replies, having people who've been through this process makes things far more calming.

Its all depends.i have submitted an affidavit attested by ind embassy but later norwegian authority rejected as they wanted a doc issued by authority and appostilled.so i have to travel to my home country and did race against time to get the doc completed and then came back and submitted.nd immediately i got the non impediment cert for marriage.ur case may be different as u r british.ur affidavit may b approved but cant ur municipality or other relevant authority issue whether u r single or not

Nadkiz007 wrote:

Its all depends.i have submitted an affidavit attested by ind embassy but later norwegian authority rejected as they wanted a doc issued by authority and appostilled.so i have to travel to my home country and did race against time to get the doc completed and then came back and submitted.nd immediately i got the non impediment cert for marriage.ur case may be different as u r british.ur affidavit may b approved but cant ur municipality or other relevant authority issue whether u r single or not

See this is where I am unclear as so far I have found no one else in the same situation. There are no visas involved and from what I've read it can all be done whilst I am living here in Norway, which should make it that much simpler, it's just the matter of the UDI and British government giving me the "I don't know, talk to "other governing body". I'm hoping it is far simpler.

Did you write your affidavit yourself? Did you have a lawyer or did your governing body give you the affidavit? (This is what I am unclear of as I can not find it anywhere and multiple phone conversations have yielded no answers).

Thank you for your reply. :)

Hi i was working in other country so the embassy attested for me.udi willnot give u proper information in this case as this has nthing to do with udi i feel.i was dealing with the national registry office in oslo near bus terminal.from where we get the non impediment cert.since u live in norway an affidavit approved by ur embassy may do the job.there was a no objection needed from my parents which i made with the help of a lawyer in a stamp paper as he was a notary.later i got it apostilled.my marriage status i ddnt use lawyer.if ur embassy doesnt help u why dont u deal with ur municipality back home.try everything.i was also confused stage like u regarding this cert but got it at the end

Hi Devetta,

In my case, Im Thai citizen but working in another country.  I needed to fly back to Thailand to get the document proves that i never been married from municipality  in my hometown.

Then i needed to translate to English and certify the document by Thai consular in Bangkok/Thai embassy in the country where I'm working .

Then I submitted application.

In your case. Since you are british. It might be slightly different. (in the part of translation since your document is english anyway)

You may ask your municipality to issue the said document , then you may submit your application. Can't your municipality  or city hall issue the said document? Im not sure how it works in UK .

but i hope you can figure it out . I m still waiting my application's result.. been 1 month now

Hi Devetta,
Certificate of no impediment is normally issued by the statistics office or registrar's office in the country where you lived. I found this link and it might help you out.
https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/births … ied-abroad

Thanks!

The embassy should be able to issue a document stating that you are not married. Alternatively you can go to the courthouse or city hall back home and get a similar document

Contact the marriage registry for a confirmation letter that you are not registered married in your country.

Just an update in case anyone comes here in the future.

I decided to go to a lawyer to double check everything, basically very simple and everything on the list as stated, she didn't even charge for her time (lovely woman - if you need a lawyer in Oslo pm me for her info). You do not need a lawyer but I felt it was best to double check.

In your written statement of relationship and plans for marriage put down as many dates as you can, if you don't have a date of the wedding just pick a month you'd like as a rough estimate - just bare in mind the processing times.

The affidavit document is given to you by the British Embassy in Oslo (even though the website states when booking you need to bring one with you), and you take all originals and photocopies to the police (originals only needed for the person who is not a Norwegian citizen), you keep the originals after the appointment with the police.

All went through fine and now just waiting on the conformation letter, it's been almost a month since the hand in and it usually takes around 4 months (give or take a few weeks due to Christmas).