Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Oman

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Oman can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Oman?

What are the most common clichés about life in Oman in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla.  Truly a good topic to discuss in this forum. In the midst of these misconceptions all that I can say is I'm a very very happy expat living in the Sultanate of Oman for the last twenty seven years.  Inspite of various situations I'm enjoying each hour each day and living here on Oman peacefully.  I don't think this kind of living is possible in our own country.  There is always power problem, water shortage, mosquito menace, pollution, noise pollution and political instability.  If our country is more stable why will we Indians like to contribute to a foreign nation.  One man how much he can do.  We keep saying Modi is there, Modi will do.  As a citizen what are we doing ??  I'm from Bangalore. Recently I was there for ten days. Oh My God every day there were different kinds of problem, absolutely no security to common man.  Freedom is mis used by every one in our country. In this condition I am sceptical as to when situations will be normal and when we expats would want to get back and settle in our own country ??  A big question mark.  Please call me on 99263050, so we talk more on this issue and how we could make a difference. Cheers. You have a great day.

I have been living/working in Oman for the past 20 years. The biggest misconception that I came across was how safe is Oman compared to other Middle Eastern countries.

the 1st sentence of this message answers that question.  ;)

I feel this country is blessed by God and till date has been one of the safest and friendly places that I have visited. What makes any country good is the locals and I am sure most of you'll will agree how good the locals treat the expats as far as I know.

the present situation financially and job wise although seems a little grim I wish all the best for those whole live here and wish this peaceful and tranquil country in midst of all the turmoil going on in the Middle East the best and may God protect the locals and expats who live here with safety always.

Althaf Careem

As I know, Oman is a very good heaven to live, than other commercial cities and people of Oman is also very nice people. We can see real religious secularism, as I am following my HINDU culture for the past more than 2 decades in Oman and no one questioned me/us so far. It's really rich in culture, but what to do here & there, there may be few hitches, but generally as far as I am concerned, Oman is a best place for living (may be comparatively you may earn lesser than other countries, but very peaceful). In fact, as I live freely in Oman, I can't live even in my own country, even though I love my mother land than anything else.