Dealing with homesickness in Qatar

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Qatar can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Qatar? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Off topic. Please participate on threads only if you can help the initial query.

Hello Priscilla

I know what you feeling , It's not easy to live away from home from family and friends,
from the life you used to.

It takes me year or 2 to get over this feeling and now i'm dealing much better,

Not all product i found here in Qatar in my original country you can get everything you want and everywhere , here it's too hard to get it and it's in a certain place or two.

for how many years you been expat?

Hi,

I too had same problem when I entered qatar.  I had my MOTORCYCLE  in india where me and my friends will hangout daily evening. .. but once after reaching qatar I have no option to go out. Taxi fares are to expensive  for my salary also car is a dream. It made me to stay in my room. my condition was getting worst. .. later in made up my mind to find better things and to come out of homesickness.

Here below i shared some thing which makes me feel better...

1. I'm regularly calling my friends and family abd sharing some time with them.
2. I started developing my professional and personal carrier by reading blogs and books. Also preparing for IELTS.
3. I brought one bike so I will go for a ride during evening time that is @6 o clock... alternatively  I will go jogging. ..
4. I prepare food for myself so I feel entertained..
5. I will have a sound sleep in the night without any disturbance...

After all doing this is have no time...

Also try to find out some new friends....

Thanks,
Ameer.

Please, contact to me then only I can let you know.

provide your contact or whatsapp No.  ;)

Hi everybody,

Thanks everybody for your contribution to this thread. :)

@ cool VK > The forum is a free platform where members exchange information. If you want to share some information on this topic, please feel free to do it here.

Thanks,

Priscilla

In Qatar you can enjoy 4G high speed internet so skype to your relatives and friends and chill :)
Also you have to show some communication skills in order to make  new friends while enjoying meals at different resturants..

Hi I'm feeling the pain now feeling home sick. Haven't gotten out much as I'm working shifts, and tired and drained when I get home. My room mates aren't really helpful at all and feeling lost. I Skype with my family and friends every chance I get. I've only been in Qatar  3 weeks now and still feel lost. I'm a South African.

ladys and gents, im really home sick and ive been here 4 years, i have a family wife and kids, but living cost is still very high even with a decent salry. The schools are a joke, driving sux, malls are bland, really is there any excitement here besides the salary?? and please dont tell me the cornich and sealine.

i never get home sick as pple working with me are from the same country. i actually feel  sick of pple from my country,  they are everywhere and it makes me sick.

Hey guys ..

Been here for over 6 years .. it's tough not easy ... my advice .. Gym Gym Gym ... it will make U feel better.. stay positive, avoid negative conversations about being here as it will only make it worse .. save up so u can get away to a tropical country every 3 or 4  months ..

you are absolutely right, the gym is a good idea, release some of those endorphins! but how about the driving and also big language barrier when going out shopping in the stores, at least hire someone that speaks some english, employers here just want the cheapest manual labor they can get regardless of the level of education completed!