Close

Dealing with homesickness in Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Costa Rica can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Costa Rica? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Having things "from home" helps a lot. I also find that enjoying media in English to be sort of comforting.

As far as preventing the feelings, that is not possible. Culture shock is a universal experience of anyone moving to a new culture. The good news is that you adapt eventually. And the best advise to just stay here long enough for that to happen.

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Costa Rica can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Costa Rica? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I'm probably not typical re this subject, but I don't miss much of anything from the USA except a couple good friends.

Now, I do miss stuff like great Mexican burritos, great Thai food, calzones and other foods we got there that are not readily available here.

I miss Trader Joe's and their affordable organic flax oil and coco oil and great frozen pizzas and cheap chocolate and many choices of budget wines and beers!

But I don't feel "homesick", really.

In fact the reason I moved here by and large was because I was sick of the USA and it's rules and regulations and fines and politics and so on. I know  Costa Rica has these too but it's just not as bad here, at least not for me, not so far. To me the USA is not the land of freedom but the land of rules and regulations! I feel much more free here, free to do as I please and while there are RTV and other rules and regs here they are fewer and further between.

With the internet I can keep in touch with the whole world, I can play all the music I always did, and with FB and email, whatsapp and skype, I can keep in touch with everyone back in the USA, as well as friends in other countries.

Aside from the food, the one thing we miss is good quality products at a lower price. Costa Rica has many things that are higher priced here, though labor is cheaper and other things are cheaper so that kinda makes up for it.

So, no, no real "homesickness" here.
I think people who have very close-knit family connections are more likely to get homesick. That is not an issue for me.

My husband and I did our best to remember that 'home is where the heart is'.  We began to develop relationships quickly.  We immediately found a good church where we could start to develop deep bonds.  We got involved there so that some of our emotional and spiritual needs were being taken care of.  We also got involved in the community and stayed busy and kept contact with friends and family from home.  We often reminded ourselves, (and still do) that Costa Rica is our new home and think about the good reasons we chose to be here.  There are so many reasons - the people, the climate, the quality of life...  It wasn't long before the homesickness feelings became less and less and Costa Rica became our new home.  I hope you love it as much as we do!

Questions and answers about Costa Rica

Ask your question
Brooksy
Playa Lagarto Eco Developement
By Brooksy
LMB0206
Irish kerry
Any Irish expats?
By Irish kerry
samramon
Petition to help future residents of Costa Rica
By samramon
Coloradomike
Buying Health insurance in Costa Rica. Your opinion?
By Coloradomike
gwalkerco

Expatriate health insurance in Costa Rica

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Costa Rica

Moving to Costa Rica

Find tips from professionals about moving to Costa Rica

Travel insurance in Costa Rica

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Costa Rica

Flights to Costa Rica

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Costa Rica