Few questions about Bahrain

Hello All,

Wish you all Happy New Year 2011 ...
May this New Year bring newly found prosperity, love, happiness and delight in your life

I am planning to shift to Bahrain in Feb however I have few questions. I hope somebody will help me answer my queries.

1. I have been staying in Dubai for last 4 years and now would be moving to bahrain with wife n 2 kids(newborn n other 2 yr).how is the healthcare system in bahrain. Is it as good as any other developed nation?

2. i have been to bahrain once before but found roads covered by drunken saudi's running up n down Bahrain on wed/Thursday. is it safe for my wife to walk with these jaywalkers if I may call them.

3. Well people say Dubai is expensive but if you know the places you can live a decent life in dubai with reasonable cost. I found Bahrain to be more expensive as compare to dubai as we get lots of sale all year round. Is it same in Bahrain with limited market?
(Please forgive me if somebody is offended)

4. I am planning to bring my car from dubai to bahrain. Is it worth it for shd I sell my car here and buy new one there.
5. Is there any taxes in Bahrain? I know there is 1 percent deduction for Bahrain Social insurance. Not sure what is that for…….
6.  I know this one is subjective however I cannot stop asking this – how much average salrary of manger in IT dept.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

Hi Amitmathur and welcome to the forum...

Best wishes to you and your family too...

1. Healthcare ==> I don't think you'll find any problem with the healthcare system which is quite good here. Maybe the good dentists are a little difficult to find and very expansive but for the rest it's OK and several hospitals are excellent.

2. I hope your wife doesn't walk on highways ? :D
If she stays on the sidewalks, she won't be in trouble, I've never seen a Saudi driving on them  :p

3. Market is small here but extremely competitive and I don't think that Bahrain is more expansive than Dubai, at least as far as what I buy is concerned.

4. For your car I guess it depense on the value of your car and how much it'll cost you to bring it here. You can check the used and new cars prices on the internet to make a ground for your decision.

5. Custom taxes for import are costing you 5%. After that, no taxes here. I've never heard about the 1% you're talking about and I don't think it's relevant.

6. How to answer this question ??? You can be a manager in IT with 20 highly qualified guys working for you or with 2 data entry clerks... I guess the dimension isn't the same is it ? So will be the salary !

Hope this will ease your anxiousness. I'm quite sure that if you leave your preconceptions you and your family will love Bahrain !

Cheers and happy new year :D

I have heard about the 1% tax, but as far as I understand, it's paid by your employer..and as a tax, it is meant to be used by the gov't to fund government services, i.e hospitals, etc..but yes..1% is nada anyway, unless you earn millions of BD's.

As far as the Saudi's go, they are harmless entertainment on the weekends. They are everywhere on a Thursday, but you get used to them. They occasionally honk their horns and shout after you, but thats about it.

As far as everything else goes, Bahrain enjoys a very relaxed atmosphere compared to Dubai or any other GCC member, I hope you will enjoy it too.

Hello everyone,

Thanks alot Oliver n Knut for insight, this makes my job little easy and yeah you are right Oliver, better I leave my preconceived notions and look for positive side of Bahrain.

One more suggestion if may I ask, is it better to hunt for fully furnished house or take semi n buy our own stuff. Reason being not sure how long i would stay and I am finding it difficult to dispose of stuff here in dubai. Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

Amit

Well, I think you just answered your question. If you find it hard to get rid of your belongings, it should give you the clues necessary to make a decission, unless you manage to get your employer to pay for re-locating costs/shipping costs..like a 20ft container or something. Or unless you are willing to pay for this cost yourself..and Dubai/Bahrain is not that far to drive..hire a van and shift your gear?

Personally, though I like my own stuff..I tend not to rent unfurnished till I've settled in.