Adapting to the climate in Chile

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Chile is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Chile?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Chile?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Well priscila we have a wide spectrum of weather. Depends on where you're going to settle in Chile. If its Santiago it can be very cold during autumn/winter . Average temperatures fluctuate around 4° and 17° Celsius . During Summer its hot but not humid like in other countries and temps usually are above 30°C .

The most considerable impact of weather in our daily lives is mostly heavy rain seasons that cause chaos on the streets (that are partially , if not fully flooded).

Let us know where you come from and what kind of weather you're used to deal with

In the north of Chile is the driest desert in the world. Nuf said about that one!
The central part of Chile is a Mediterranean climate which sounds pretty idyllic as I look out the window this morning at my frozen pasture. Though as Asalinas said it is not always perfect!
Here in the south in the Lakes region - summer is dry and rarely gets above 90F
Winters are long and dreary and wet but we never get snow
A lot of gringos struggle with the cold and wet in houses that don't have central heating and insulation
My first winter I got pneumonia- seems like we are always sick in the winter and I struggle with seasonal depression. Problems I never had in South Carolina.
South of me in Patagonia is just colder and snowier with shorter summers