Thinking about living and studying in Prague

Hello! I am new to these forums and I have a question for all of you Prague expats!

I am a US citizen with UK citizenship through my mother. I have a passport from both countries. My boyfriend was recently transferred to Prague (where he's from) for work and he's asked me if I would move there with him in a few months. I am definitely ready for this but I have a few questions about living and working in Prague.

I am a student here in the states and would be able to do my classes online from Prague. 1st question: as my classes are online I will need access to the internet - are there libraries and coffee shops like here in the US where I can use the internet to do my work? We should have internet at home, but I will want to get out of the house to do some of the work! :-)

Also, I am a CNA (certified nursing assistant) and have worked in a hospital for 3 years. Would this US certification mean anything in CZ? I only speak about 75 words in Czech so far, so I am by NO means anything near bi-lingual which seems like it would be slightly important in a clinical setting in Czech!! ;-) I don't really have much else on my resume - I am going to be done with my bachelors in communications in Dec 2011 - except childcare that I've done over the years. Does anyone have any suggestions about finding a job? I'm not too particular about it or that concerned about the amount I earn - I just will need to be earning something while I'm there. Also, I assume that because I have a British passport, I would not need a visa?

Thank you all so much!! I really enjoy reading your stories from around Prague and the world! I appreciate any help anyone can provide :-)

Sarah

Welcome to the forum Sarah :)

Hi Sarah,

First of, for sure there are libraries and cafe shops with internet in prague, actually i dont know why you even asked that question because almost every single human territory has internet connection in all over europe.....anyways...there is no problem about internet...

second..your certificate is not really valid unles you speak proper czech language.. you cant expect everbody speaks english here but that certificate is for sure a plus to find job. us citizens i knoe in prague mostly looking for language teaching job. you can give a try.
job opportunities are limited for foreginers but there s still chances.

yes you no longer need visa since czech republic is one of the members of EU.

if you need more info, please contact.

have nice day.

cotodelas,

Thanks for the info - I'll have to look into healthcare jobs, but I'm not really holding my breath, especially as I only know a few dozen words in Czech so far - none of it useful in healthcare! I would take any sort of job, really, not just a job in hospital or similar.
I'm glad to hear that there are many places with wifi! About the internet question - I have internet practically on every corner here in the US and my boyfriend (from Czech and in Prague now) said that it's harder to come by in Prague. But he must have just been comparing it to here :-)

Sarah