Insurance coverage in France

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad requires adequate insurance coverage.

What type of insurance expatriates need the most in France: health, house or liability insurance? All of them? Do they come as a package?

Are there other insurance options to consider like critical illness, damage or property insurance?

Is it better to purchase insurance from an expat insurance specialist or from a local insurance provider?

And what about insurance costs?

Tell us about your experience in France.



Hello Kenjee.

That's a good question. In my opinion it's better to be insured locally, i.e. where you reside.  That way when something comes up, it will be much faster. Then again, I do not know where you come from so I can't vouch for insurance companies from your country. Maybe they are better than the ones in France. Having lived in France for more than 10 years, I think I can safely say that you need a minimum of 2 or 3 insurance schemes:

1) A multi guarantee that englobes housing, personal life, among others.

2) A complementary health insurance (mutelle in French)

3) Vehicle insurance

France has one of the most extensive social security systems in the world. Healthcare costs are basically reimbursed up to 70% whether it's a simple visit for a cold or an important surgical procedure. If you pick up a complementary health insurance scheme, it will reimburse the other 30%. Otherwise, you'll have to pay that portion. Of course, there are things that aren't reimbursed 100% or not reimbursed at all.

Choosing a multi guarantee insurance and a complementary health insurance scheme can be a headache sometimes. There are so many companies that I can't tell you which one is the best. AXA, Alliance, MAIF, MAAF, GAN, Matmut, MGEN...and the list goes on. Even the different French banks propose multi guarantee insurance schemes. It all depends on your budget and the coverage that you would like. Do your own indepth research, e.g. percentage, conditions and time frame of reimbursements, coverage, etc and compare them with the ones from your country. That's the only way to go.

Good luck!

New topic

Questions and answers about France

Ask your question
I dont understand.
By jmg12
By mhel23
By edges
By Viva.italia770

Expatriate health insurance in France

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in France

Moving to France

Find tips from professionals about moving to France

Travel insurance in France

Enjoy a stress-free travel across France

Flights to France

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to France