In retrospect, would you move again to the USA?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in the USA, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in the USA so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

Yes I would. Will have to reply to other questions ASAP but wanted to quickly throw out my yes. :)

I would not move to the USA if i had this to do over again I would have gone to a country that offers a decent health care I feel so strongly about this but now 20 yrs later not much I can do about it but truly it's a subject that gets me so upset how badly the health care is "not" done in this country so to your question I would not move to the USA for sure , you can only survive if you are super wealthy otherwise you can't and you live with the threat or worry that a huge illness can wipe you and your family out even if you have some kind of health care , really bad in my opinion as you can't avoid getting old and ill. Also I dont have to worry about it but the schooling in the USA is not great yet costs an arm
An a leg, once again if you wealthy it's great otherwise not . Having said that of course USA is better than being in SA but if you leaving you can get better everything in Australia England New Zealand etc.in my opinion .

I did not answer all your questions I suppose it's fine in America I live on the west coast so it's very liberal the way I like it and it's beautiful and it's easy living here but I do feel a bigger affinity to Britain maybe because growing up we belonged to the common wealth and the USA is very different in thought and many things , it's hard to answer but as I said in my other post the health care is the big reason I would not come to the USA if I had to do it over I really would not and we had a chance to fix that but Obama care sunk us really sad as its anything but affordable unless you are very poor then it's fine otherwise it's not .

Absolutely a "no!" - Wish I had moved to either Canada, Australia, Sweden, Norway or Finland, or even Germany. - Except for the weather (I live in the South, and it is nice), everything else is mediocre in terms of lifestyle, security, social structure, social support, and quality of life as I define it.

Absolutely!

However if I was asked the same question 5 years ago I may have been undecided. But now I am 46 years old, living a very comfortable semi-retired lifestyle in sunny Florida with brilliant healthcare and outstanding benefits. We have two children that attend top rated local public schools and we live in a safe community / county.
We live a relatively stress and drama free lifestyle that allows us to stay healthy and fit.
This has not come easy. Everything comes at the cost of hard work and making sacrifices. But as with anything, you only get out of life what you put into it, no matter where you chose to live. I do however believe that the USA does offer better rewards and opportunities for those that are prepared to work hard and be initiative.
It is unfortunate for the typical American that in many ways it is beneficial in this country to be an immigrant. And by standing by our Kiwi common sense upbringing and financial wisdom we avoid becoming victims of that daily American treadmill.
Would we renounce our New Zealand Citizenship? Absolutely not! Born a Kiwi, always a Kiwi!

wild-kiwi
Dual Citizens (4)
Living in USA since 2003

Best decision of my life. I found the life style that perfectly matches who I am (I'm a big outdoors guy, don't like big cities, don't like to rely on anything/anyone and like to do what I want without asking anyone for it).
I got a great career and make descent money, I found the perfect woman and we live on 2 acres in a mountain ranch with lots of wildlife. It sure is a lot of work, in addition of my daily job, but I love it! No need to go to the gym, I tell ya!  :)

Although, I'm not an expatriate anymore. It's been over 18 years now, my career and adopted family is here and this is where I'll enjoy my retirement. When I travel for work, going back home is here in SoCal. Beside a few family members left scattered in Europe, I don't have anything left over there. I go on vacation as a tourist once every 3 years or so, but I'm always happy to come back home here, in the southern California back country.

Hi There,
where is your Ranch at?
I'm also in So Cal (Rancho Santa Margarita)
originaire de Beziers - 30+ years now here in US

No i would not because of the lack of healthcare which is huge and now this disastrous administration showing such little regard for its people , nooo canadaor New Zealand would be my choice.

Scraggy wrote:

No i would not because of the lack of healthcare which is huge and now this disastrous administration showing such little regard for its people , nooo canadaor New Zealand would be my choice.

There is no lack of healthcare in the U.S (unless you live in some very remote area) only lack of funds in your bank account to afford that available care.

In the future, please share your opinion without political comment, as it's not allowed on Expat.com. :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

As a US Expat (living elsewhere) I am not sure I would want to return to the US

Bob K

I would really say that it depends where I am living in the country, the lifestyle in nyc and Seattle are very different. For me, I've always have loved being bicoastal and since I'm from Canada there are a lot of perks I love having from that country as well.