Do and don't in the USA

Are you living in the USA? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in the USA?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in the USA?

Thanks!

Do watch your language (mind the swearing)
Don't be shy (false modesty is overrated)
In restaurants, do ask for a box to wrap half your meal in as soon as it arrives (otherwise you'll eat the whole portion, and it's huge... at least in Texas)
Don't take it personally when your neighbor doesn't say hi back
Do learn weight, height, and temperature conversion formulas (or know where to look 'em up)
Don't complain about the news, read international papers online
Do take severe weather warnings seriously

Your turn now! :-)

When you meet an American, say something nice about the country, don't jump them with a negative. For years I stayed away from Brits here because most of them basically want to talk about what they don't like. If I get defensive when I hear this, imagine how a local must feel.

Just be willing to experience new things and have an open mind. I have actually found my preconceptions of all things American to be inaccurate.

Sure it maybe different to what you are used, but you might love it!

Xpat
http://xpatriategames.blogspot.com/

I have some friends who weren't born in the US and they say that the biggest thing to learn is that you don't have to be shy. If you can deal with everybody wanna talk to you, it shouldn't be a problem. :)

I totally agree to what was already posted here. I am also of the opinion that it is very important to overcome your shyness. Besides this I also think that it is important that you watch the language. We do not like it if you are swearing all the time. I am also of the opinion that weight, height and temperature formulas are very important to know.

Hello all!
I kinda disagree on couple things... Shyness is not the appropriate word, I think that freedom of expression would be more accurate! The neighbor who doesn't say Hello is just an asshole... we need them in the world, I guess.
My advices would be: smile as often as possible, Enjoy your neighborhood! work as hard as you can! if you feel like complaining about the US, go back to where you belong, Don't be jealous, get what you want!
About swearing... a "what in hell?!" never killed anyone :-)
The dos? ... the Staten Island ferry at sunrise, the Hollywood lake at sunset, a huge Hotdog at Pink's on Labrea, Atlanta's grits n cheeze! St Augustine, Sedona, Santa fe should be visited.
Learn temperature and be careful of weather warnings especially tornado, very violent and fast moving around east coast and midwest.
Never say that your country is the best of all for 2 reasons: a)if that was true, you wouldn't be someplace else... b)it hurts Americans feelings, bad, real bad...
Don't say to an immigrant that being an expat is diffucult. That'd be insulting.
Enjoy the States!

If you are from a Latin Country: Do get used to family gatherings being warm and nice but not as loud and crazy as you may be used to. I feel like, contrary to what other people said, I need to be a bit shier.

Do be friendly. Americans really enjoy a nice smile and a "have a nice day."

Do be optimistic. This may be the most optimistic culture I've ever seen.

Again, if you are from a Latin country where body image and impossibly thin bodies are worshipped, do enjoy the freedom that exists in the U.S. when it comes to accepting people's sizes and shapes.

That said, Don't get too carried away by the food culture or you'll see those kilos go up faster than plane ticket prices.

Do share your culture with Americans. Contrary to popular belief, I see that Americans are more than willing to learn about other cultures (although, sometimes they do want to fit that new knowledge into their pre-existent stereotypes).

Do enjoy your time and make friends and try to control the homesickness. You never know where life will take you next.

There are some very good points here. It does not bother me personally because I was married to a Brit, but I would have to agree with the suggestion that one should curb the foul language as much as possible. I used to work with an English woman who I liked very much but other people found obnoxious because of her liberal use of the "F" word, even in the workplace.

I am a Tanzanian and have lived in the USA for many years. I wrote a book that relates to this topic, from the perspective of an African: Africans and Americans: Embracing Cultural Differences

Available as an ebook here:

http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/afri … es/7860916