Are you happy in the USA?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in the USA? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in the USA happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Absolutely. I left school very young, was trying to be a self-entrepreneur in France and was constantly finding myself in a dead-end and broke. Over here, my career took off very fast and I was making a descent living within a few years. I found a lifestyle that fits me perfectly and I can practice my hobbies easily. I found the perfect woman and a family (hers), have a great social life and we live on a small ranch in the mountains with lots of wildlife and few people. Hard to beat.

My friends, my GF and her family seem to be quite happy. They have jobs and a good social life, raise kids for some and enjoy life in general. We all have ups and downs in life, but we definitely feel blessed and fortunate to live where we live and to work hard for it.

So yes, I'm happy everyday.  :D

I'm happy , I work , I have. To fun to travel. Financial happy I'm  owner. My home

When I was 1st time in USA, in the year 2000, I took a ferry from NJ to NYC. I have never ever saw so many tired and sad people in my life before as on that ferry. There was absolutely no joy in their eyes.
I am back to USA now and perhaps I am not as depressed as those people I saw, but certainly not that happy either. I was living in Europe, Asia and Africa and my life there was happier than here. I feel lonely here. Americans aren't friendly people. Everyone just minds hers/his own business. It's all about making money in USA, not friends.

I lived in a few countries before I moved to USA. Four years in States and have lived in New Orleans, Maryland and now South California. New Orleans from my experience is far more friendlier than other places I have lived. I wasn't happy because of the weather. I was happy in Maryland because I lived an hour to DC to enjoy Smithsonian's  with great job. Winter wasn't great although it didn't makes me depress.

Almost two years in Irvine, South California. I am happy to live here. The safest city in America for 11 years. I could go for walk alone at night without worry might get kidnap and such. What am not happy is the earthquake might hit soon, taxes are high and everything is expensive than most places.

As a conclusion, yes I am happy most of the time in States. It gives me opportunity not only to travel but explore places especially National Parks. Kid in a good school. If am not happy, that's nothing to do with that place, just me being unhappy.

Politically, I think people in the US are way less happy than they are in Australia (keep in mind that I'm basing this on the Australia in my memory, not necessarily the current one).

I live in California, which I find to be really similar to Sydney anyway. So I can't say that I'm any less happy for living here. I think I'm just happier in my circumstances here than I was back home.

I think it depends about where you come from and where one lives in the US.  I come from downtown Paris and live now in a suburb in the Deep South.  It also makes a difference if one is young or mature.  The US is not interested in older people.  It seems my French friends from way back are still there when I go home to Paris but in the US it is difficult to make “real” friends.  They are friends for a while then they move and forget you.  I read many reports from foreign people in the US unable to make lasting friendship with US people.  I had at least 8 friends from France living in Georgia and they all went back home – could not take the US culture of greed, anti-intellectualism, and racism.  I had a French friend from Martinique who came for a visit and rented a luxury car to travel around.  She was a tourist but stopped at least 4 or 5 times by the police in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee because she was black.  I never was stopped.  I guess they did not believe she was a rich businesswoman.  She cut her trip short and went to Canada.  I know now about 3 other mature French women, and none of them have American friends – I mean “friends” not acquaintances.  As long as one has an accent around here they are considered “alien.”  After all those years I am used to living here, but I would be happier if I had left when I was in my 40s, I would much rather be back living in Europe where I could talk about art, books, etc., here there is very little interesting conversations, only about business, money, sports, etc.  But when one is young, it is hard to imagine being older.  Here, they know and care very little about other countries and cultures.   Maybe in large cities like New York or Los Angeles it is different, but it is not easy for a European to live in mainland US, or the Deep South.  My daughter had several “au-pair” coming to help with the children – all the European ones left before their year was up – unable to be happy in a suburb in the Deep South – a couple were French Muslims, and they became scared – do I need to say more?

It's true that one must make a difference between acquaintances (people you know and socialize with but who you may not count on) and close friends who will be there for you no matter what.
Because of so many different people coming from so many different walks of life in a country as wide and diverse as the US, you can easily make close friends here. But it takes time and efforts, like anywhere else. You have to go get them, they won't come to you. It may seem harder for an expat/immigrant because you compare the previous life where relationships grew from an early age with a native culture to starting from scratch, often at adulthood, with a different culture. You need to be very open, otherwise, it's gonna be even more difficult to make true friends. You need to be there for them too. It's valid for every country and I strongly believe that the US is one of the easiest because initial contact is so easy.

Personally, I can count 10 people who would be here for me no matter what, and it had been proven many times. 4 die-hard friends from work, 2 outside of work, all 3 of my girlfriend's brothers and my girlfriend, of course (she was the 5th very close friend from work for 8 years before we ended up together).

From there, your happiness can only increase.

Well where do I start? Nothing like your home country, if we have our choices home is where we all belong. The good thing is I came at a younger age so it was much easier for me to adapt with the culture and learn the language quicker.

I have seen people struggle to cope up with the life style here. Even though there are a lot of means of survival opportunities but survival is not what people should look for. They should put up the fight and make things work in their own home country where they know the in and out. After living 25+ years I am actually preparing myself to move back where my real home is. I rather struggle there and contribute toward common good than live in fear in the host country.

I hope this answer your question.

Questions and answers about the USA

Ask your question
By NJHall
I am looking to chat with New Yorkers
By Emmael
Looking for apartments in Cupertino
By sabrinanoelle
Moving to Dallas
By kladkaka
By Pennie

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the USA

Flights to the USA

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the USA