In retrospect, would you move again to Romania?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Romania, would you heartily say "let’s do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Romania so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

I likely would not move again to Romania, especially how it was nearly 10 years ago.  Today, it's much better in the country, but there's still a long way to go to catch up to other modern and developed countries.  It can be terribly frustrating to live here because of the lack of development and bureaucracy in nearly all aspects of life. 

One notable benefit of living here has been being able to save a lot of money from my income and put it away, as the cost of living is quite low.   I've been debt free for quite a long time now, and I like that.  Everything I have, which includes cars, real estate, etc..I can say I own outright.

Romaniac Experts Team

Hi.for me its definitely mixed feelings. I love Brasov, the scenery,the weather even but as a person of colour i got stared at,my daughter who is two,gets her hair touched at random by strangers. I understand that people of colour are the 'needle in the haystack' but theres more polite ways to show your curiousity. That said ive met alot of wonderful people. Ill be leaving in a couple of weeks but it will still be a second home to me as my daughter is romanian. The cost of living is low, and if someone is looking for a great place to raise a family ild recommend Brasov. Otherwise, as a person of colour, Romania would not be my first choice, you will have to stomach alot.

I would certainly move back here. In fact, I wish I'd moved here a few years earlier when real estate was even cheaper, but everything is a good idea with hindsight!

My reasons are mostly the same as stated by Romaniac above - the ability to live debt-free, to own multiple properties outright (something I could never afford to do in the UK without some serious debt), and to do a job I love without having to work too much or too hard but regardless to be able to put away a little cash each month for the future. I enjoy the climate, the countryside, the cuisine, the history, and spending my time between the capital (which is more or less the same as any European capital now, except perhaps with lower crimes rates than western Europe) and the countryside (where I can experience a lot of traditions and customs and travel a little in time) I feel I have an excellent life balance.

In short, I don't regret moving here and there is little I would do differently given the chance (except perhaps to get on the property ladder a year or two earlier).

I would never, and would avoid it like the plague.

Hillarious. You should share why...?

i came back... after a break of a few years.
would never consider it as a permanent long-term location though.
by that i mean in excess of 3/4 years.

claudeyc :

i came back... after a break of a few years.
would never consider it as a permanent long-term location though.
by that i mean in excess of 3/4 years.

Explaining your reasons why might actually be informative to others  :whistle:

I came back due to work.

Questions and answers about Romania

Ask your question
Are you happy in Romania?
By Priscilla
Teacher English in Bucharest
By giulim
Running groups
By haileydalrymple
Expats in Bacau
By yeyaxx
Driving license in Romania
By Armand

Expatriate health insurance in Romania

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Romania

Moving to Romania

Find tips from professionals about moving to Romania

Travel insurance in Romania

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Romania

Flights to Romania

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Romania