Where are the swimming pools? How are the swimming pools? Cost?

Well in the States, many of us are used to a swimming pool being available to us at a relatively low cost. Whether we are lap swimmers, water aerobics people or occasional bathers. Twenty-five yards long pools are common which is about half the distance of the 50 meter pools used in the Olympics.

There are pools in EC. Loja has a pool for lap swimming and some good swimmers there. What about Vilca? Cotachi?

Exclude hotel pools unless residents can use them.

Are there pools on the coast or the ocean is it?

In the coastal city of Manta, you can rent a two-bedroom apartment with both a swimming pool and an ocean view for about $500 per month.  Source:  the Viva Tropical website.

In Quito, one hotel -- Hotel Quito -- offers day passes for residents for its enormous outdoor hotel-pool / large jacuzzi / spa area.

I have been swimming for two years at one of the many indoor pools in Quito where the escolares swim during morning classes and certain hours are set aside on weekdays for public use of the pool.  Admission:  $4 a day at Academía de Natación Valencia, at Río Frío y Venezuela.

cccmedia, Quito

Hi,

In your post, you mentioned "one of many indoor pools in Quito." I'm here for a month and am having great difficulty finding a single one. When I ask locals, they tell me they don't know. Can you please tell me at least a few of the pools and their cross streets? I'm in the Mariscal Sucre area.

Thank you!
Liz

If you do a search for "quito piscinas natacion"  you will get a number of hits:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=quito+piscina … amp;ia=web

Among them an article in the Quito newspaper El Comercio with descriptions of several:

http://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad/qu … iudad.html

As a boy in Quito the only game in town for me was the pool at Hotel Quito, but you have many more choices now.

Head north from your area to Carolina park area on Amazonas (west side of park) there's a sports facility with pool called centro deportivo iñaquito. From mall jardín just walk a bit north on Amazonas. Never swam there so can't say much but if you go there give us a little review por favor.

If you take a taxi it'll be around $3, probably less depending where in La Mariscal you are.

Since this is a question titled for Ecuador in General... I´ll just store here that the Salinas Country Club on the coast does have a large lap size pool.  It is where the triathletes train so I am guessing it is adequate for exercise needs.

In Quito, I recently discovered an indoor pool on Avenida Venezuela at the Matovelle school next to La Basílica de Votos, the largest Gothic cathedral in South America.  The cathedral is only a block-and-a-half from my Quito condo.

The pool has some nice features, besides the fact that admission is only three dollars a day.

I love la hora ejecutiva, an early evening period of two hours, Monday to Friday, when the kids are away and the adults can play in an ambiente tranquilo.

Also, it's not a pool for lane swimming as are some Quito pools.  You can swim around the whole pool at will.

The pool's water temperature is consistently comfortable. :)

There's a jacuzzi a few feet from the pool.  It's hot but not killer hot like some of those 104-degree-Fahrenheit jacuzzis common in YMCA's and health clubs in the USA.

Safety is not an issue.  The Basilica police station is just across the street.

Parking is free. 

All non-hotel pools in Quito are indoors as the average daily high in the capital is about 20 degrees Celcius or 68 Fahrenheit, year-round.

cccmedia