American planning on living in France

Hi
My wife and I are planning our move to the south of France for Sept 1 09' and are looking for help from someone who has been through such a move. She is from Toulouse and I am Texas native transplanted in San Diego for almost 20 years so I'm the one who really needs the help. We have already considered that we will need to take medical and financial records but we are hoping that someone has a checklists or spreadsheet for some of the not so obvious things we should consider before we depart. English is my first language and I have good conversational Spanish but no French. We have ordered Rosetta Stone and I'll start with that. We are beginning to research the move and just discovered the expat site today, I'm certain that I will have more questions.
Hope you can assist,
Simion

Hi. Perhaps someone else has a list of do's and don't do's along those lines. However if you have any specific questions I might be able to help out. I'm in Thailand right now ... but spent the best part of two decades as an expat Brit in France, so do have some idea of the pitfalls!

A little more background would be useful ... planning to work in France? Buying or renting? What area?

I don't know how it is for you but we are Brits and our passports do not carry a maiden name so when opening a joint bank account we needed to take our marriage certificate along to the bank as well as passports, utility bills and a letter of recommendation from our existing bank.

If your wife has a French passport and/or ID card this probably won't be an issue for her.

Hi simion, there are people that can help you all the way with your move, I know an american lady that has lived here for 30 years and she can help you make the move easier.

This people can help you passporttofrance.com. They helped me for my visa and paperworks.

Regards.