Madrileños in Fort Lauderdale

I am from Madrid (Spain) and I am living in Fort Lauderdale (FL) since November 2014 with my husband. He won the Lottery and we decided to start the process to get the Green Card.

We left everything in Madrid (family, jobs, friends, house...) to create our own path in the US. Nobody said that would be easy; and it is not. There's no a big company offering us a job to come here. We didn't know anyone when we arrived, but after one year and a half, we have our own small business, we work much more hours than in Madrid, we have met some amazing people, and we have solved all the problems you know if you are reading this (house, car, credit cards, health insurance, IRS, credit score...)

We have new challenges every day (English is still the first one!) and I would like to share them with you, in English, en español, oppure in italiano.

Are there more Spaniards in Fort Lauderdale? We've just met one during this time...

My understanding is spaniards look down on the spanish as spoken in the new world.  Perhaps giving lessons in proper spanish is a source of revenue.  Google spanish groups and go to some of the spanish restaurants listed and talk to them. I know you miss home but be careful, the more you speak english the better off you are.