Moving to Finland with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to Finland with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in Finland?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

I had a very smooth experience moving to Finland. Of course, I planned it in advance and visit the country in a recognition trip in order to arrange a place to leave and school enrolments. When the family moved in, we had most important things already arranged.
I recommend that you should visit the city where you intend to live, meet the municipality education authority and share your thoughts about your children education. I've got great advice from Espoo municipality personnel. People are very open and available to discuss your needs, including school principals.
Concerning adaptation, it will depend on the age and, of course, the one itself. My  younger boy did very well despite the fact that he couldn't say a  word in Finnish and had no 'preparatory classes'. After 6 months he was able to use the language for his basic needs and get along with schoolmates.
The older son, on the other hand, at his age of 14 had some difficult to adapt to the culture at the first year but soon catch up.
Day by day life in Finland is quite easy compared to most countries around the word. Societ functions pretty well.  Language and culture can put some challenges ahead but in the end, you will find your way.
Victor