Do you need a Puerto Rican driver license to transfer a title?

I bought a car 10 years ago with my US driver license and just bought another. I met the seller in Yauco and I was informed that I need a Puerto Rican drivers license to transfer the title. Does anyone have first had experience getting the title transfer with a US drivers license?

I transferred title without a PR license. I went with the sellers and I provided my passport for identification. Easy-peezy. Good luck!

I recently purchased a used car here from a private party.  I order to transfer the title and register the car in my name, I needed my social security card, driver lic (not PR - I'm from CT) and my water bill, power bill.

When I didn't have the SS card, I had to go the the SS Admin office and apply for a replacement, they gave me a letter documenting the application which was accepted by the DMV.

So weird how experiences can vary! I came to PR from Costa Rica a year ago (this April) and I didn't have my Costa Rican license with me and was still able to get everything done with the lovely couple who sold me the car using only my passport. I wonder if the rules vary from dmv to dmv. We got everything done in Manati.

Though I may have needed my SS card. I always have it with me and I was on such a happy high getting to Puerto Rico (still am a year later) that I may have forgotten that detail but, for-sure-for-sure-for-sure, I did not have my CR license (or any license) and I used my passport.

You don't need a PR license, you passport and ssn card will do. I have car in PR on my name and I have a Tx license.

We registered a car we bought here and we have a us licence and no passport

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I did not think it was necessary to have a Puerto Rican license. I was probably the first Americano to transfer a title in Yauco for the employee. I may still go ahead and get a PR license as I will be here full time this fall.

My son just transferred the title  of his truck with his VA license.
So no you don't have to have a PR license to transferred a title.