Follow Expat in Galicia

Hey there everybody!
My name's Heather and although I'm not new to the expat life, I am new to this page and this is my first post. I'm a twenty-something living on the coast of Galicia, Spain. I thought this would be a great place to find fellow travelers and nomads that love exploring and going on adventures around the world. I'd love to find other passionate people, especially with blogs like me, and discuss topics and ideas and just network! Give me a shout if that sounds like you! (Not just people in Spain, I'd love to meet people around the world and read their stories!)

Happy travels everyone!
-Heather

Hi Heather , how do you find Galician life? I living in  A Coruna .... I've been here 18 months certainly different lifestyle to London . I hope your enjoying your adventures in Galicia . Al

Hello there! Thanks for writing to me! I'm really not far from you, less than an hour south down the coast. I really quite like it here. You're right though, it is very different. The rain can get kinda depressing, but I love how I live on the coast and pay so little to live very well. What about you? What are you doing here? Are you staying temporarily or long-term?

Thanks for your response , I agree living by the ocean is really great I definitely appreciate it every day ,  how long have you lived in Galicia for ? Culturally here it's very unique I am here for the long term , what about you ? I left London to look for a different lifestyle,  I work as an English teacher and I do some editing work of books , how do you find the people in Galicia? Its nice speaking with you  ... Hablamos pronto

Email me your blog please. We live near Palmeira near Ribeira, so not far from you.

Semi retired to Galicia. It is indeed inexpensive to live here and I like the independent spirit here. Different from many other areas in Spain, rugged. It may be cold right now, but usually it gets better after beginning of April.
We could not ave imagined having a whole house t ourselves and fresh fish vendors ever other day at our doors with a many different pastries and breads just steps away in the little local store and a marina just a few km away. Watching at the biggest mussels area in the world right outside our windows.

Jazz165,

I have been living in Galicia for about a year and a half, but I also studied abroad in Murcia a few years ago, so I´ve spent a good deal of time in Spain. I am also here for the long-term since I met by boyfriend on a visit here and I´m back for good to be with him. I also work as an English teacher which is fun! I´m at a high school. I find the people here in Galicia to be very kind, but a little bit shy or reserved upon meeting them. Once they really get to know you, though, they open up and are friends for life. I think I was used to the south where people are very in your face at first, but I really prefer the culture and costumes here to the south now. Good to hear from you. Enjoy the nice weather we´ve been having!

-Heather

Hello Paperdetective!
I am sending you the link to my blog in a private message because I don´t want to go against the rules of this website for advertising. Your situation here in Galicia sounds awesome! You live in the area that I do as well, Rías baixas. The weather really turned around this weekend and was quite pleasant, almost like spring! My boyfriend, who is from here, and I just found a great little apartment right on the water for almost nothing and have a full view of the bay in our town where the river meets the ocean, and of all the mountains! Living the Galician dream! :)
Nice hearing from you! I hope you like my blog.

Happy travels!
-Heather

Hi Heather,
Sounds awesome, what you have been doing , I agree living in Galicia is great locals take sometime to get to know but once they open up there really down to earth people. Living by the Atlantic is something special for sure , how's your Galego ? I really like Coruna especially the fact the city has a lot to do for its size and sharing a flat with my patner is next to nothing cost wise ... I 've just added you to my contacts . I hope to speak with you soon . AL