How to make friends in Spain

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Spain :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Spain??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Get out and about - try some local interest clubs associated to your hobbies ie Classic Cars, Writing, Theatre group, try the U3A, or maybe a walking group or golf club. Join a language group and learn Spanish. There are lots of options I came to Spain knowing no one!

Language seems to me a central issue. Without this communication is limited. Limited communication doesn't provide for meaningful relationships in any culture or language.

Positively? Do an intercambio - take the permaculturist approach and do something that gives you back several things at the same time: Broaden your language, help others, make friends, extend social circle.

Just my sixpence worth.

Volunteer to help your local Red Cross center. Attend a church service. Attend the local festivals. Go to an outdoor cafe and strike up a conversation with the table next to you. The Spanish are very friendly and interested in meeting people.

As said, language is key, if no comunication possible, will be difficult.
Then, try outdoor activities, hiking, , museum activities, etc
You may use tools like meetup and Couchsurfing for hobbies groups
Go usually to same bar and become a regular

Just another suggestion-really a variation on what has been already suggested. Volunteer to teach English (or whatever your languages). I did this free years ago and made a ton of friends.

Maybe pay them something? They really like getting money from foreigners 🤔

Spanish people love talking to anybody where ever they are but most of them are very reluctant to speak foreign languages and the few trying to speak English have a very bad accent that hurt your ears 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Learn spannish is the key. First able a few sentences of politeness and current life.

Go out in the bars the same hours they do.

I don t  think that paying something would be a good idea. Sending them the message "look at me I m a rich foreigner" won t be a way to get friends...
Showing interest to what they do, ask for more details and/or for  help would  be better....
Invite them to a barbecue when you know them a little. Spannish people s got a real passion for barbecue, they re able to make them in almost any place 😆

Are there any chat rooms to meet expats?

I would like friendship to the spinish people

De mon côté j'ai contacté la croix rouge du Tenerife ,si je m'expatrie en 2022 ,je les rejoindrai..
😁

ginaneurohr83 wrote:

De mon côté j'ai contacté la croix rouge du Tenerife ,si je m'expatrie en 2022 ,je les rejoindrai..
😁

Please write in English so others can understand you. Thank you

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Google translate was made to help you...
If you are or wanna be expat, you have to get out your comfort zone with language and take the habit to hear and read foreign languages, that s the first step of integration

Hello New Friends:

I will be arriving to Alicante on December  10 - 18 to look  at the area and look at
apartments. Any suggestions on a realtor?

charmingeve81 wrote:

Hello New Friends:

I will be arriving to Alicante on December  10 - 18 to look at the area and look at
apartments. Any suggestions on a realtor?

Maybe you would be best a#strat off a new topic to get a better response?

"Help in need of looking for Apartments in Alicante"

SimCityAT
Expat Team