Hello - want to know anything about my country?

Hello,
I'm from Europe and I've been living in Yemen for many years. If anyone is planning on coming here and has any questions, you can contact me. Also, if you are a female foreigner currently living in Sana'a, it'd be nice to get in touch. You can also have a look at my new blog with daily additions: alnakhla-blog.blogspot.com

Hi Alnakhla, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Thank you for offering your help to members on the site.

I invite you to present yourself in our new forum Sana'a. ;)

Thank you very much. :)
Christine

Hello, I'm from the UK and we are actually thinking of settling in Yemen in a  couple of years time. Is it easy settling there? meaning living there, jobs, schools and so fourth? Intially our first choice was Saudi but its become so hard to settle there now.

Thank you and I'd really appreciate any advice from u.

As salamu aleikum umm Uzair,
I hope you've visited my blog, where you can find all sorts of information about the country. You should keep in mind a few things if you'd really like to stay here. First of all, you need a sense of humor and lots of patience to live here ;) Next, to get (and keep) a residence permit you need to have work. If you are native English speakers, it shouldn't be a problem to get at least a teaching job, and there are quite a few other possibilities, too. As for education, there are both public schools, which are free, and private schools, which cost a lot of money. The choice is totally yours. Yemen is a good place to live and to bring up your children. There's lots more to say, so maybe you can send me your email address.

I checked out ur blog and it was very informative, MashAllah. my email address is [email protected]

Part of the reason to settle there is also because I would like to make Hijrah and live in an Islamic evironment.  I would also like to learn Arabic too. I have teaching experience but no BA degree, can I still get a teaching job there? I mean I am born and bred in England and fluent in English.

Thank you for a quick response.

I'm trying to send you an email but Internet connections here can be extremely slow... It took me around 45 mins. to post a reply to your message yesterday as well! See when patience comes in handy...

Anyway, yes, you could still easily get a teaching job, inshallah. A BA may get you a higher salary in some places, but being a native speaker with experience, you can do without.

Learning Arabic is imperative here since most people do not speak English. Of course they speak their own dialects and you may prefer learning the classical Arabic. Well, the dialect is not learned in school; you pick it up quickly when you have to. For the classical Arabic you can take classes.

thank you for ur quick response