Cagayan De Oro - possible to live with $1000 pension?

I will be in the Philippines around March or April 2016. I have been in PI off an on for a few years, I have been to many Islands but Mindanao, I am interested in the areas of Cagayan De Oro and Davao as far as security, safety and cost of living.

I like a somewhat quiet area but also like a social life. I am retired now on fixed income not a lot if I can budget under $1000 a month will be okay. Would appreciate any help,  Thank you.

Ken.   PS am in my early 60s and have traveled and lived overseas mostly in S.E.A.

Hello,
My name is Bill and I live in Malaybalay, it has an excellent climate and a very low cost of living factor. I am about 80km from CDO, in Malaybalay there are 5 banks 1 shopping center 4 or 5 bars, it is definitely a quiet town, it is the capital of Bukidnon. For myself,

I use BPI to transfer my monthly money, they have an agreement with Wells Fargo  under their express send agreement. It cost me $4.00 to transfer money and I get an exceptional exchange rate. I transfer it at night and pick it up the next day.

My total monthly budget including high-speed internet, and diesel for my car is about $1100 a month, and I do without anything.

If you want more information feel free to contact me ***

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.

I would recommend for you to stay away from big cities because it will cost you more. A lot of cities here in the Philippines where you can stay with that amount. Some cities are one stop shop (means that bars, grocery, banks beach and etc are available). Mostly cities that low in cost of living are cities away from Manila or Luzon. $1000 is a lot more if you know how to spend it here (beware of scammers). Better to ask a friend who is already living here for more information.

Recommended city: CEBU and DAVAO