Close

I moved to Puerto Princesa, Palawan

I moved in November 2015 in Puerto Princesa, Palawan. Before, I was living in Agoo, La Union (Philippines). I don't know how many of you are living in Palawan but I have to say, that's the best decision of my life. I'm very used to live as expat, in many countries, but Puerto Princesa is, for me, the best location ; very good Internet (I need it for my work), a new very big mall (Robinson), nice city proper, health structures, many possibilities to enjoy in daytime/nighttime and of course, many places to visit like the islands in the Honda bay or the Underground River and so on.

I can compare also my cost of living with the one in Madagascar (my previous country), or with Agoo La Union. Palawan, is also cheaper. So much food in Robinson Mall are little cheaper than the same in Agoo. There is no difference about food between Robinson prices and the local market prices. We live 4 in home, my wife, my son, my maid and me, in a 3 BR new house, 2 stories, 70% furnished... My minimum cost of living, here, is 1000 euros a month (rent is 260 euros) without entertainments or excursions but my incomes are +/- 2500 euros a month and so, we can enjoy so much of this paradise. My wife and me, we just spent a very great day in visiting 4 Islands of Honda Bay, boat for us alone and lunch included for less than 70 euros.

I plan to stay here definitively and to build house here. Please feel free to let me any advises about this, or about the places to visit in PP and all Palawan. Of course, I will visit El Nido.

For the benefit of others (as I had to look it up to see what the actual costs were):

1000 euros = 52,000 pesos. Cost of living  without entertainments or excursions
260 euros = 13,500 pesos. rent
70 euros = 3,650 pesos. Day out with lunch.

I am curious about where the new houses are, such as yours, as I lived there for a short time a couple of years ago (when the internet there was very slow).
The hospital was good there. Treated for infections from contaminated water.

Hai Ray,
I'm just curious why you moved away from Agoo and how long you lived there. I live in Taiwan and went 4 times to the Philippines within a year. Last time this year in January I rented a scooter and drove around Luzon (Mariveles, Olongapo, Dagupan, Bagiuo, Baler, Santiago) and before in Mindoro (Puerto Galera) and the place which I felt most attracted to was Agoo: not too big, not too small, beach and mountains around, dry climate, nice basilica and all the other stuff around (malls, public market etc.). And people seem to be very friendly there. So, I would appreciate if you could write a few words about it, as I plan to retire in the Philippines in the near future.

I will be scouting that place out in Aug with my girlfriend..where would you recommend I start to find a decent apartment for us for a couple months?

Hi,
My wife (Filipina) and I live in Trinidad, Bohol.
We plan to visit Palawan (for the first time) to celebrate my 81st birthday on Sep 12.
Prob stay 3 nights, 4 days.
We urgently need advice on where to stay.
A beach resort, not over P3,000/nite. But we are NOT backpackers.
We are both Senior Citizens so we need a comfortable room and environment.
Our priorities are a trip on the Underground River and a city tour of Puerto Princessa, but we want to be on the beach, not in town. So anything you guys can recommend for us would be greatly appreciated
I  guess we sound like the average tourists but we are not really, having been married in Manila in 1985. It's just the constraints of time and lack of knowledge of the terrain.

Hello,
3000 per night it's ok. When my father visits me, it takes a room in Marina De Bay, on the sea. I can look it for you. About underground river, I have been very disappointed. If you don't have a very powerful flashlight, you see absolutely nothing. There is no light in the underground river. I remember the guide told us, "here you can place the NASA vessel vertically", but since you are in the dark, you don't see anything. If you are old, the way to go there is not easy too and you have to wait several times to visit the underground river. You need also to take a van and the van is also expensive. It's only my experience. 
At the opposite, we visit several times, the Honda Bay, closer to Puerto Princesa. You can reach the port, in a tricycle, and you take a boat to visit and stay for a while on 5 Islands. Some have good rest house in bamboo and restaurant and very few tourists. We enjoyed so much there. There are not really good beaches on Puerto Princesa. The water depth is usually too short to swim, on long distance from the border. We have a house and our garden goes to the sea. I have a nice sea view from my office, but the tide is very slow. If you go out from the city and go a little to the north, you will find nice white sand beaches also, but the tide is the same. Not easy for swimming.
For me, Puerto Princesa remains the best place for living, but the tourists don't stay a long time in PP, they prefer to visit El Nido and Coron.

8-19-17
Hi Ray,

I owe you, Ray. As soon as I went to the website for Marina de Bay it was a done deal.
We're taking the 2N/3D package with a tour of the Underground River. Plus an extra night cos I booked Cebu Pacific for a 3 night stay in Palawan. Arrive Sep 10, do Underground River Sep 11, do the Birthday scene Sep 12, fly back Sep 13.

We should say hello at the Marina de Bay, with spouses of course. Are you free?
And we are charging up our 2 LED flash/spot lights. Might even buy a bigger one before leaving here.
So, again I owe you - for the tip about no lights inside the river cave.

Any Abu Sharaf inside those caves?

Take care,

David & Ellen

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi David,
No danger/terrorism here.
Good that you chose your trip already. Send me a mail when you are here.

Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you

Is that an email address, Ray? With the brackets included?

Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum.

Reason : Please exchange your contact details through the pm system. Thank you

are you still in Palawan - are there many foreigners there? Would be good to meet on one of my visits. Best PAUL

connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)