Best cities to live in the Philippines

Did not like Cebu all that much anouther dirty noisy city just imo.

Choosing where to settle down in the Philippines will depend upon the preference of the expat. If they are more of a career oriented person most probably, he/she will be in the metro city. But if the expat is a retiree, he/she would choose living in the provinces.

Batangas wrote:

Did not like Cebu all that much anouther dirty noisy city just imo.

bitter? batangas is nothing compared to cebu. lol :D

I'm making a short trip to Puerto Princesa in April.  What can you tell me about it; i.e. cost of living, availability of shopping, activities, medical, weather (typhoons, earthquakes??). Is there an expat community there?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Wes

Wes, if your coming to PPC, look me up.  I'll sit down with you over a cup of coffee and answer any questions you may have.

. cost of living, availability of shopping, activities, medical, weather (typhoons, earthquakes??). Is there an expat community there?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Wes, I wanted to cut and paste what you asked so that I could refer to it while writing.
Cost of living.  Pennies on the dollar.  We, wife and I go out to eat every night, we can spend anywhere from 100 pesos to 300 for the both of us.  Depending upon what we choose to purchase and eat!  We have a Robinson Mall and as I write there is an SM mall going up.  Robinson, has your traditional clothing stores, and places to eat.  (only two stories.  We have a public hospital, and private.  Can't really share about the quality, I'm certain not like Manila, or Cebu hospitals.  I've heard good stories and bad about both Public and Private.  Weather is always 30 C more or less.  No typhoons, no earthquakes!  Although there was a typhoon, before I got there in 2006 from what I heard.  For the most part typhoons travel further North of the island of Palawan.  We have expats, Some get together for cards, drinking, talking, coffee, and god knows what else.  I'm sure you will meet those that want to talk and do things, and some that don't.

What else, I could share about a lot of things.  Past four years we have seen a Boom in construction.  If hotels are any indication of the growth, we are growing.  Which means land prices are a bit more expensive around the city.  How much is expensive, depends upon how much money you have, right!?

I suggest you rent for a year to see where you want to buy or live.  Best advice I got too.

What else you ask and I'll share!

**   best way to reach me.

Joe

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.

Joe,

Thanks for the quick response.  I've made note of your email and will definitely follow-up when I am in Palawan.  Do you own or are you renting?  Any idea what the rents would be for a 2BR condo/apt?

You've been there since 2006.  Are you working or retired?  Do you live there year round?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions and really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Wes

I'll share  more when you contact me via email.

Joe

Hi,
for all the places we stayed over the years  Tagaytay would be my hands down favorite. The weather is excellent, i have a new split a/c system i bought last year and still have never turned it on.   Going places is not overcrowded. For single guys ,the girls are not as hot and friendly as in other parts of the Country, as they are much more tribal looking and heavy set. If you get some local connections your can rent a house or apt reasonable, like one the outskirts or neighboring provinces.  Just walking into the middle of Tagaytay and renting will set u back some serious pesos so it is good to have contacts to help you.  It is easy to get around from place to place also.
Being American i liked Subic, Palo, Cebu,.  We use to stay in a little place called Baloy Beach area by Subic and that was very nice and reasonable to stay. We stayed at baloy apt where the owners are danish and Filipino (husband/wife) and it was just a block from the beach. Furnished 1brm was resonable and had aircon. All in all i say the climate is what tips the scales for me, not dripping wet as soon as we take a walk is nice here in Tagaytay, so it is our choice here.  So that is my opinion and well aware there are different strokes for different folks  so you need to try it before u buy it.  God Bless.

I'm not looking for job I don't have to do you have any experience with city of Apalit in Pampanga   nad Baguio please  Paul

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : post removed - Insults = BAN

I highly recommended Iloilo City, a sweet  city in the Philippines. Friendly people and very cool ambience. More opportunity waiting to those job seekers. More fun and activities that organized every year.so, all are welcome to try and experience . Mabuhay!!!

Who are you referring to?

Iloilo City?  I don,t think so..I visited most of Philippines,and i can tell you, I found,Iloilo City,   the dirtiest city/in my experience/in the Phil. Mabuhay! .

Norm,
i can see if you dont agree with someone but hey u still need to show respect to everyone and not make it personal by name calling.  lets just all get along !!

All get along and admin doing their jobs

istvan555 wrote:

Iloilo City?  I don,t think so..I visited most of Philippines,and i can tell you, I found,Iloilo City,   the dirtiest city/in my experience/in the Phil. Mabuhay! .

I totally disagree with you. I moved here from Manila one month ago and find the place great in every which way.
Réal D.

Hi eveyrbody,

Please note that we are not here to agree or to disagree with other members' point of view.

We are here to share our own opinion on what, according to us, are the best cities to live in the Philippines and that's it.

So, please avoid unnecessary arguments on the forum !

Thank you,

Priscilla

MaroBautista wrote:

Choosing where to settle down in the Philippines will depend upon the preference of the expat. If they are more of a career oriented person most probably, he/she will be in the metro city. But if the expat is a retiree, he/she would choose living in the provinces.

I am a retiree, but I hated the provinces.

City living is much better (in my preference).  However, as you say: it all depends upon the preference of the "Individual" expat.

tn101112 wrote:

We, wife and I go out to eat every night, we can spend anywhere from 100 pesos to 300 for the both of us.  Depending upon what we choose to purchase and eat!

Going out every night for me was a bit too expensive.  I liked Western food, and 2,000 was often a closer figure for a good restaurant, for two.
It is still cheaper than Australia, but not massively cheaper.

We did occasionally get the 150 pesos for 2 meals, but they didn't compare ;)

I sure respect that and probably pretty correct..     The people who are hard to understand though are those who will go to a 3rd world country then look for work. lol     Dahh...... I think i would stay in my  1st world country if i want to make a living, not to mention the Govt here does not want Foreigners to work and take jobs from the poor  people who are birth right citizens here.  Would i take a pesos for helping someone here... heck NO i would not.  If i would need money i can fly back to the States for a month and make more than  the Philippine President does in a year, i would sure not take from those in need here, i am just a guest as all expats are. (some forget that).

I would recommend Tagaytay, Cavite. Generally cooler / breezy weather and cleaner air compared to Metro Manila. Near beach resorts in Batangas such as Nasugbu (but personally, I don't like Batangas beaches because of coarse sand).

The area boasts of a nice view of Taal Lake and Taal Volcano, which you can catch a glimpse of while driving on the highway. But in the not so distant past, there were long stretches where you have unobstructed views of the lake. But after the novelty of scenery and better climate wears off, things can get pretty boring there, unless perhaps you have a hobby, like gardening, or a sport, such as golf.

There are many options for rentals, from houses to condos.  My parents have a vacation house in Tagaytay built in 2001. Over the years, I've noticed that the air is not as cool and the weather not as breezy. Probably from all the development in that area, including mid-rise condos (which are like eyesores to me, like the Sky Ranch theme park.) Many gated communities have sloped / inclined roads and streets, which make for a nice cardio workout.

In the past years, we got strong water pressure at the vacation house in Tagaytay. We had a pressure tank, but did not have a need for it. But around the beginning of 2016, there was a drop in water pressure at our vacation house. The water company informed us that there are certain hours where there may be no running water. I don't know if this is temporary. So, make sure that the place you're moving into has a working pressure tank.

You most likely would need a car. It will probably take at least 30 minutes to an hour or more, depending on traffic, to get to the closest shopping center, Solenad-Nuvali in Santa Rosa Laguna, if you're coming from say, Bag Of Beans (original branch), which is a popular cafe in Tagaytay. Same with the nearest major hospitals and schools.

Karma what ever you project will come around to bite you, if you have a problem with Filipinos and how they live then leave. It's their country show respect!

I dont  think u have  a clue to what we are talking about in best places to live.  Chill out, have another beer.

Do u know if there a place in Tagaytay  Expats meet?   Thx

I live in Iligan city Mindanao I live in a basic 2 bed house with large garden, It is typical PH house, so not luxuriously appointed, but rent 3500 per month. I have made 1 or 2 small improvements for my convenience. It is to my liking, had I wanted what I had in England, I would have stayed there. Weather is hot usually around 30 but I like heat and you soon acclimatise.  I have lived in Pasig city near Manila, Cebu city, Iligan city, I have spent vacations in Dumingag- Zamboanga del Sur, Kagawasan - Zam'a del sur, Bohol. and a few other places. Each has it's own pluses and minuses. Go where you fancy. is the best answer, as everybody will have a difference of opinion. If renting, nothing is permanent.

That is one great thing about the Philippines you can not work here. So there is no best city to live in. Only the one you like best to live in.

Davtjo.  I live near C.D.O.  Wife has property at Nawawan. So out that way often.  We should meet some time in Iligan city.  I do go there 1 or 2 times a year as she has family in that city.  Or need do something there or she does.

well put !    I have a friend from US that lives down your  way and he likes it also, is in a higher elevation so that works for him.  To each his own, as i was telling a friend in the states  this is so much better than the rat race  in the States, just no pressure here and people are good.   If the US was ever as poor as this Country  we wouldnt be able to walk down the street without getting robbed.  Black  ghetto neighborhoods are like that now there.   We are glad we moved here.

mikenjane wrote:

I don't know if there's a place in Tagaytay where expats meet. But Tagaytay is becoming a popular destination for expats. If you want, you could start a meet up thread on the forum.

There's a large Starbucks in Tagaytay with a nice scenic view of the lake with plenty of parking on weekdays. I think it would make for a nice venue, except for weekends and holidays where it can get crowded. As far as I know, alcohol is not served there. So most likely attendees are not going to drive home drunk or fall into a ravine.

mikenjane wrote:

There is a restaurant at the Robinsons shopping plaza in Tagaytay call Gilligan's. Expats meet up there on Thursday's I believe.  With and without their wives of gal pals.

I live just outside of Bogo City.
Much cheaper than a "city"..Still have many of the creature comforts and cebu only 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive for the big mall shopping.
Bogo has two supermarkets ..Gasiano and SuperMetro.
Jollibee is there as well as Inasal(sp) chicken
Plenty of beaches and a more relax and safe environment.

richierich359 wrote:

I live just outside of Bogo City.
Much cheaper than a "city"..Still have many of the creature comforts and cebu only 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive for the big mall shopping.
Bogo has two supermarkets ..Gasiano and SuperMetro.
Jollibee is there as well as Inasal(sp) chicken
Plenty of beaches and a more relax and safe environment.

Any good hospitals??

Cebu City could be OK but it lack of drinking water - no effective garbage collection - Police - appalling traffic - no effective building planning or inspection and very expensive but sub standard medical facilities plus the worlds most expensive electricity make it a total non starter

Interesting...    I found the smog to also be nasty for a place who wants to attract first world tourists.
The only city i saw even half way managed well here is Olongapo  (Subic area).  They have an anti smog program set by the mayor and people cant throw garbage on the  ground like animals and it is a much more decent town than even Tagaytay here where one would think would have those kind of standards and more being they are projecting such growth.  It seems alot of Mayors rather have their Pictures on  signs like a dictator would do instead of actually managing  their cities.

Olongapo/Subic has NO secure subdivisions where you can actually own your own house and lot through your wife or child.

there are several new subdivisions in the area.   I found it to be a real secure place even ten yrs back , but we all look at stuff differently of course.   Hell i feel much safer here speaking of just the people, than i do in any part of the States.    I am amazed at how people here though poor  are decent and peaceful, in the states if they got poor  it would be dangerous to leave ur house as they would be robbing like mad.  The black inner cities are like 4th world countries, they keep emergency rooms full every week end.  In St louis this summer i saw  EMS units double parked and each with gunshot people in them from the ghettos.   So it is great the Philippines are not out robbing foreigners  other than paying the white guy tax when we buy something.

Yes there are plenty of subdivisions that you may think are secure but try leaving for a month or 2 and then you will find out if they are really secure or not. A lot depends on the security guard company the subdivision employs to man their gate(s). A good example is the Sta. Monica subdivision near Barrio Barretto which has had security guards as long as it has been in existence and still the highest home theft and street robbery rate in the area.

The questions may be a little broad when it used the word "living".  It may mean living purely or living and working.

Firstly, let me clarify that the Philippine constitution reserves the practice of profession to Filipino Citizens. Hence, aliens or foreigners are not allowed to practice a profession.  An exception to the general rule is when the position is highly technical that no Filipino citizen is qualified for the position.  That is a matter of convincing the proper agency, the DOLE.  It must be said that foreigners can do professional consulting services like in Business Process Outsourcing offices.

Secondly, most aliens that come here are either any of the four types.  More often than not either, have a pre-arranged work employment with certain companies who apply for their expat-employees visas or businessmen who are seeking to put up their businesses.  There is a third group of aliens that are so visible now; retirees. 

Having said that, I would second the thought that making a choice as to which place to live in depends on the purpose.

If you fall on the first type of aliens, then most probably you will stay put in the big cities like the Greater Manila Area (GMA) (composed of the cities of Manila, Makati, Quezon, Pasay, Paranaque, Caloocan, Malabon, Valenzuela, Pasig, Mandaluyong), Cebu, Davao, Baguio, Iloilo, Cagayan De Oro.  Though are instances when the alien have to be posted in manufacturing plants located in the suburbs or rural areas or those that are located in what we call Export Processing Zones.

If you fall on the second type, the trend now is to locate outside the major cities but near enough to be accessible to transport.  Cost is the primary reason for this move, given that GMA is highly congested (the government is so inefficient to resolve this).  While others who put up beach resorts, restaurants and hotels in the scenic places in the provinces.  There are way so many places to name.

For the third type, many retirees live in Baguio or Tagaytay for the good climate.  They also stay in Condos or Condotels or in private subdivisions in Manila hiring private nurses and care givers.  But there are also a lot who loves to be near nature so they stay in provinces like Cebu, Dumaguete, Batangas to name a few.   

If you fit in on the fourth type, I suggest you "live" (stay) depending if you aspire to get lost in touristic places or those so called "road less travelled"; city life or rural life.

I would also suggest for people who voices out their opinion should be make careful.  I think it will help if we don't make a fallacy of generalization :)

"I would also suggest for people who voices out their opinion should be make careful.  I think it will help if we don't make a fallacy of generalization :)"

Yes, in the Philippines, as with most third world countries, the local people do not like having their noses rubbed in the problems that they encounter every day.  However, even though foreigners have very little rights in this country, the right to know the truth is still ours. The "truth" varies from person to person, that is usually what is called an opinion. But looking through the opinions of people looking for a place to settle here, you do get "generalities".

The Philippines can be a nice place to live, it does take some getting used to, as all countries do. Where to live depends entirely what a person wants. There is enough diversity here that unless you are a winter sports fan, there is always some place to go and something to do. Just be careful. It is my OPINION, that Filipinos are not as nice and accepting of foreigners as some have been led to believe.  No matter where you are at in the Philippines, as long as you stay silent about problems, you will be alright.