New to Costa Rica

My wife and I are just beginning our search for the perfect climate, less stressful environment and lower cost of living and need all the help and advice we can get.

Hi danstrack,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

What would you like to know about Costa Rica please?

I invite you to have a look at the costa rica guide, it might help you.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Have you ever visited Costa Rica before?  What do you consider the "perfect climate"?  Sunny beachfront living? Cooler mountain living?  Do you want to be in a bigger city, moderate city size, small town, or rural?  What age range are you, and are you retired?  Do you plan to change your lifestyle to obtain a lower cost of living? Please tell us more about yourself and what your likes/dislikes are.  There are a variety of climates and lifestyles available in CR.

Thanks Priscilla I will look at that guide

Thanks Red Beard, we are in our mid fifties and perfect climate for us is 60 low to 75-80 degrees high. We are former divers and love the beach but just too hot and muggy for us to live there full time. I like the fact it is only about an hour away so we can go anytime.

We have an insurance agency at home and a good crew there that allow us to work from anywhere we can get a quality internet connection. We are from Dallas/Fort Worth and enjoy the convenience's of urban life, restaurants, events, shopping, etc.

For the next few years the goal is to spend Jan-Mar and June-Aug someplace where the weather is not too cold or hot and that is how we ended up here for a month. We will be working 4-5 days a week and the rest of the time we want to explore and find the perfect place for us and see how we would fit in.

We have been learning Spanish but realized when we arrived last week we know and understand next to none. All the locals have been extremely kind but this has been an issue where we are in Tambor area just north of Alajuela. We rented a car for the month because could not get a cab to our rental home, mainly because of our lack of Spanish combined with the lack of street numbers on the homes.

If you like diving it's great over here in Puerto Viejo/Cocoles area. We have just bought a home up the hill 2 miles in the jungle from the beach. Seems to be pretty nice temputure wise. Stays in the low 70s at night and 80s in the day. We have met a lot of expats over here it's definitely a hidden gem here. There is no sign of chain stores or high rises but lots of good restaurants I'm told over 80+. We also get pretty good internet up here in the jungle but it does slow down at moments. Might want to take a couple days and check it out.

cool we will thanks

I vouch for my home town, Palmares in Alajuela. I'l be happy to show you around

that would be great, we drove thru there yesterday on our way up to San Ramon, we just drove around some had late lunch at a steak house there and came on back down here. Maybe we could set something up with you in the next couple of weeks as your schedule allows

Be happy  to do it. I am retired,got all the time of the world. Phone and WA: ***

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security, do not share phone numbers on forum. Use the private message system instead.

Mauro would you have some time Tuesday afternoon to show us around Palmares. We could come up there about 1 or any time that fits your schedule

I travel a lot around the country and visited many, many little towns.  Although I love my property, I agree that  the Palmares area is where I would locate if I did it all again.  Perfect weather - the weather that you described initially.

As everyone will tell you - DO NOT BUY FOR AT LEAST ONE OR TWO YEARS.  Explore and find what area makes you happy and then adjust to the culture... if you can.

- Expat Dave

Very good, Thanks Dave!

HI Danstrack
I just saw your post and after living in MANY areas in CR I settled in a sweet charming farm in a PERFECT Climate (even the locals say ahhhh Concepcion de San Rafael Fresh air mild and sunny and Spring like year round avarage 75. 85 deg F year round GREAT location  and Awesome VIEWS of Volcanoes and city lights..character and country atmosphere and yet 10 miinutes  drive to charming Heredia,, Bus at ny gate takes me there in 15 minutes,
and 5 minute (in between )  2  villages with gorgeous l beauty  (for the  architecture if not religeon )...,Both with Organic farmers markets,,and local friendliness,
DON'T miss this gem of an area I moved here 25 years ago. .still here after trying SO MANY areas,,Iinvite you to visit so email me at

Good Luck and although I tell eevryone to first RENT  for a year,,,I bought in the first few months and never looked back..I disliked a lot the  "Gringo Gulches " thus speak fluent Spanish...
Hope to show you around this beautiful area
Regards
Deb

Moderated by Naomi 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details for security reasons.Please exchange them in private messages.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Danstrack;
Please be cautious of anyone telling you anything is PERFECT.  It is all relative to the people themselves.  Come down and explore for yourselves as there are very few people that will say they made a mistake but may try and influence you without knowing what you are looking for.  When you ask on a forum you will get skewed advice (and I am not saying this is wrong, just realistic)

We ALL think our areas are perfect FOR US EXCEPT those we were trying oout when first moving here I NEVER said THEY were perfect LOL or I would still be living there ..and maybe others who dislike Muggy HOT climates and think CR is all that,,
Am I wrong Viv in seeing  your prior posts saying that YOUR area also was Perfect? must be or you would not be living there Maybe???
But perfect is an individual experience and if I lived in THIS area for 25 years AF TER trying to live in yours and many other areas ,  we can only HOPE people WILL try most areas WHICH have the climates and vibes THEY like ....yes?? I do not think anyone is trying to persuade people to certain areas ,,at least I am NOT..for  what possible reason but to have them also experience and enjoy it??

Realize that many of those who are promoting a specific area have property to sell... :whistle:

Thanks Kohlerias, I thought I had intimated that point but you emphasized it  :top:

RE Censurship on the site   LOL

Do the modertors here REALLY have time to screen all posts to make sure we do not get too freindly and exchange email addresses I find that Hiilarious ,. (I wish I had that time .even as a pensionada I am far  too busy for such petty items...! LOl
But I notice Mauro and others post their phone numbers so I assume phone numbers are allowed to make contact but emails not?
?Please explain the difference duh before I go mad LOL ?

Thanks Deb, We drove through some of that area and it was beautiful. Even though fairly close to Alajuela it felt distinctly cooler. We would love to see that area with someone that knows there way around. I am not sure how to message you privately though?  Dan

Thanks Terry & Viv for the very solid advice.

pebs wrote:

RE Censurship on the site   LOL

Do the modertors here REALLY have time to screen all posts to make sure we do not get too freindly and exchange email addresses I find that Hiilarious ,. (I wish I had that time .even as a pensionada I am far  too busy for such petty items...! LOl
But I notice Mauro and others post their phone numbers so I assume phone numbers are allowed to make contact but emails not?
?Please explain the difference duh before I go mad LOL ?

Hello Pebs :)

Concerning exchange of private contact infos, either email address or phone contacts, we always ask members to use the private message system for that.

We  review posts so as to always bring good contents to members, no off topics or potential scams.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

I notice some ]eople post phobe nymbers as I too do not know how to private message??/ I will put my phone is you need it if they so not like as is cesured I am sure they will remove it but they did not for Marco...so it is te  506  part is if out of country  oiherwise it is 8502 1061 I will see if I can PM you.. Yes our area is not as hot nor bugs as Allejuela.. .
Best
pebs

To send a PM just click on a persons screen name and it will launch another browser window.  Then just click on send message.

will do  :) thanks