Moving to Namibia

Hey all.

We are a newly wed couple urgently wanting to emigrate to Namibia.

My wife's mother  has dual citizenship ( Born and grew up in Namibia, currently living in SA). We are both South African citizens.

I work abroad in the Middle east, so I wont need a work permit as I wont be working in Namibia.

How difficult would it be for us to relocate to Namibia?

All advise/ input will be much appreciated.

Hi Ruan

We are South Africans that moved and worked in Namibia for a few years.

They are very strict with handing out work permits and permanent residence. Just because your mother-in-law has dual citizenship, I'm not sure if your wife automatically qualifies. But if she does as a married couple getting permanent residence and living there will be easy. I stand to be corrected but they don't actually allow dual citizenship since independence, many people had to pick a citizenship and then surrender their other passports. 

Since you are both South African, life in Namibia is almost the same just imagine a much smaller community, less shops and violent crime. But it's all the same shops, brands and food.

It is not really a difficult move, but their is a lot of paperwork and its Africa so nothing is done in a hurry.

Hope this helps a bit, shout if you have any other questions.

I started an Expat.com whilst I was there so you can have a look at some of those articles - www.journalofacitygirl.com

regards,
Tracey