Moving to Swakopmund

I will be moving to Namibia soon and most probably Swakop. I need to know what life is like out there and what I could expect. I am 45 and have been lucky enough to retire a few years ago. I still travel a lot but look forward to having a nice base in Namibia.

If anybody can give me some advise on what to expect, what to do and what to look out for, I would appreciate it.

Welcome to Namibia. If you are moving to Namibia on a long term basis I would suggest that you first come and visit for about amonth or so. Establish your base either in Swakopmund or elsewhere.

If you are staying long term you will need a visa to do so. The Ministry of Home Affairs deals with that and will advise you what you need.

If you want to retire and not do any business then it is easy. If you want to buy or rent a house there are several good agencies that can assist you. IF you need any contacts please let me know and I will give you the names of three that you can interview and see whom you would like to work with.

Finally, let me know if you need to be picked up at the airport when you arrive. We pick up our guests at the airport at no charge. Otherwise expect to pay about N$150-N$180 per person to the city center.

At the Vizcaya Guesthouse all our rooms are en suite. We also offer self-catering facililites. Breakfast is served and included in the room rate. You can order dinner and or lunch at your convenience.

All in all, Namibia is a beautiful country; it's people are friendly and the rule of law prevails.

Hope to see you soon,

Rose Ssali

PLEASE HELP ME TO SETTLE IN Namibia