Adoption of my step daughter

Hi , I married my Filipina wife in July 2015 and we would both like for me to adopt her 2 year old daughter.
I  am making plans to relocate from the uk next year and live with my new family in Liloan.
I understand the procedure to do the adoption but I need an English speaking lawyer somewhere near to Liloan Cebu preferably .
Can anyone recommend a good English speaking lawyer please .

Many thanks , Neil

Hello Neil,

I invite you to look for Lawyers in the Philippines in the Business Directory section.

Regards,
Naomi.

Thank you

Neil,
I think your plan to adopt your wife's child is a very positive step and can provide a life-time of rewards.  I am very much aware of the steps my son took with some of his documentation to adopt children from his Phil spouse.  Although he had to jump thru US Immigration hoops, the actions in the PI entailed the same process.  Neither my son or I are attorneys but this process was completed and approved by US Homeland in 8 months without any legal help.  The Atty price quoted in the USA for 2 kids was $7,000.00 plus filing fees (about $10,000.00 total).

My first real comment is to never look for an atty here as your first step. NEVER!!  They will take your money for years and count on you/your wife not knowing the laws or steps.

Always be prepared with any new country you intend to live in by studying the related laws on your own first!  Example, what are the laws regarding adoption in the Philippines and which laws or sections apply to your plans???

If you do not already have clear answers to the above, you need to get that sorted out before you trust any atty here. 

So, have you:

1. Reviewed RA 8552 (Republic Act 8552 Domestic Adoption Act of 1998) and RA 8043 (Republic Act 8043 Inter-Country Adoption Act of 1995)? 

2. Reviewed degree of consanguinity or affinity of the Filipino spouse?

3. Analyzed the daughter's status based on your wife's status prior to your marriage, is/was the daughter considered illegitimate by Philippine law? If so, RA 8552 will apply.  Note:  Many do not understand that when an unwed mother gets married to a man (not the biological father) who wants to adopt her child, RA 8552 provides that husband and wife must adopt jointly.  Were you aware of this?

4.  What is the status of the child's biological father?  Section 9, paragraph (b) of RA 8552 states that the written consent of the biological parent/s is necessary.

5.  Are you aware that this is a one-way process that you can't later rescind?  RA 8552 no longer allows rescission by the adoptive parents. Only the adopted child can ask for the revocation of the adoption.

6.  Have you and your wife reviewed the 7 Court procedures that are required to be followed under RA 8552? 

I hope it is very clear that you and your wife need to answer some if not all of these question prior to contacting any atty here.  If you do not learn this info, I fear you will spend hundreds of thousands of Peso and be strung along for many wasted months being relieved of your hard earned money. 

Best wishes to you and your family on this process.

Thank you for the information provided

Since your legally married,I would take my time finding the right qualified persons to deal with that matter.Best you just adopt her in your heart and provide everthing a child needs,im sure you'll have plenty of time finding the right person to help you without getting ripped off,besides try to find another guy from your country who married a pinay,with the same dituation,and ask how they resolved that issue.Good luck as I also got married this year too.

Thanks

Thanks for the information