Star witness for Chevron vs. Ecuador lawsuit admits lying under oath

'Yes, I Lied': Vindicating Villagers, Star Chevron Witness Busted for Perjury

'Chevron has taken the people of Ecuador and the U.S. court system on a ride, full of lies, deliberate delay, and obstruction of justice,' says Amazon Watch

In what is being called "a dramatic turn" in a protracted legal battle, documents publicized Monday reveal that the star witness in a case pitting rainforest villagers against a multinational oil giant has admitted to lying under oath in an effort to help Chevron avoid paying a $9.5 billion judgment for deliberate pollution of the Ecuadorian Amazon.

"Yes sir, I lied there...I wasn't being truthful," ex-judge Alberto Guerra reportedly told an international arbitration tribunal earlier this year when asked about his claim that the plaintiffs' legal team offered him a $300,000 bribe to ghostwrite the ruling in their favor.

...."Guerra has been the linchpin of Chevron's entire body of trumped up evidence," he said, "and he now stands not only as an admitted liar, but also as a shocking symbol of how Chevron's management has become so obsessed with evading its legal obligations in Ecuador that it is willing to risk presenting false evidence in court to try to frame adversary counsel and undermine the rule of law."

Amazon Watch is now calling for Chevron and its lawyers to be investigated and brought up on charges. "They have intimidated judges in Ecuador, bribed others, falsified evidence, and coached Guerra to submit false testimony in U.S. Federal Court and made a complete mockery of the our judicial system,"

Read more:
http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/1 … ed-perjury

And there are some insightful comments made in a discussion of the article here on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comm … ainforest/

International companies can and do buy court rulings!  How shocking!  Of course both sides engaged in same in this case, a true joke as a case in law.