Moving English car to Tenerife

I am Julie and my partner is Ken.
We are moving to las galletas in Tenerife early January 2016 to open and run a restaurant.
We are driving down in our car.
We have been trying to find out information about registering our car with Spanish plates. We believe we have to, but are unsure about how to do it, how long we have to do it and how much it costs. Also, how does road tax, mot, insurance etc work out there.
If anyone can help, would very much appreciate it.

Hi,

My wife and I too want to retire in Tenerife and have just started to do our homework. If you haven't already discovered the site, Google Janet Ascombe http://www.janetanscombe.com who has excellent site and very detailed information and links on many aspects of life in Tenerife. On Facebook there is a Tenerife Residents Site a contact there has helped me with a question, but, just reading the postings gives an insight to life on the island.

For completion of basic paperwork, interpretation and advocacy a Gestor is recommended. A resident has recommended Diana Mcglone who operates out of several location. Her email address is help @diana-mcglone or Google diana-mcglone.com for her site with lots of subjects to peruse.

I had thought of taking my car but,read that it is a very expensive option. You have to drive to Cadiz and catch the ferry and it costs something like £1300. Then paperwork is also awkward for a right hand drive car. The conclusion in the article was to buy a LH drive car.

Anyway,hope that helps you get started. I'm currently struggling trying to understand the reality of  doctors and healthcare as my wife has very specific needs. English speaking doctors are rare.

So much to find out about,but "baby steps".

Jimbo