New members of the Netherlands forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015

Hi,
I have been in the Hague for 3 months now. I am self-employed , but meanwhile studying MBA at the moment. Thanks

Hello everyone, I'm Aziza from Indonesia. I'm considering to move to Netherlands for my master degree next year.
Hope will get much information about Netherlands, especially about Utrecht and Maastricht through this forum.

Nice to see you guys :)

Hi I'm George, a 22 year old recent graduate looking to move to Amsterdam early 2016 for a few months.
I'm looking to either get a paid internship over there and have applied for several online with no luck.

My other option is to get a job in a restaurant/ bar over there- does anyone know the best way to do this? Would it be to actually go over to Amsterdam and hand out CVs or is there a website which can help me in my job search?? I'm looking at the relevant Facebook pages for Amsterdam jobs but they haven't offered me anything yet....

Thanks for any help anyone can provide :)

Do you know this website? Many people find temporary jobs in  what is called in Dutch an UITZENDBURO  (Job agency) See the website called in English: Undutchables

Uitzendburo

Hi George,

If you don't have the appropriate "Horeca" qualification, restaurant/Bar work in Holland is generally evening/weekends and more importantly, part-time/seasonal; they generally also prefer experienced staff.  You also need to consider the language issues; while many Dutch people speak English, you'll be expected to speak Dutch.

As previously suggested, the "Undutchables" website may help you.  Local newspaper websites may also advertise jobs, but they are in Dutch (a browser translator will help you there).

Assuming you have an EU passport, you don't need to worry about a work visa.  There are other local registration issues you'll need to go through; if you manage to get a job, come back and I'm sure someone here can walk you though it.

It can be done (my daughter managed to get a short-term bar job for a week last summer by just walking in off the street), but she was in the right place at the right time, plus experienced and bi-lingual.

You might want to try visiting first as a tourist and see how you get on.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for your advice! I'll be sure to check out the Undutchables website. It sounds like my best bet is to just go out there and hand out CVs- I have been to Amsterdam a few times before and have friends there so it could work!

Thanks again.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=553900

Thanks! 

Closed