Anyone shop on EBAY U.S. While in D.R.

Greetings guys, It has been a while. Summer in NYC does not offer much free time.  I have a question.  I have a friend who has an EBay account he created while in D.R. And he says he can get into Ebay, but the prices show up in Dominican Pesos. When I put his username and password here in the U.S. The prices appear in U.S. Dollars,  Are you guys experiencing the same thing from your end or is this because he opened the account in D.R? Should I just open an account for him here in the U.S. In hopes that he can see American prices in dollars or is it blocked because of the Dominican IP address? Will I have the same issue while I'm there next month vacationing and I wish to purchase an EBay Item? Thanks guys, any feedback is appreciated. Should He use a VPN mask to get around this issue? He has been trying to access EBay from his cell phone, could that also be the problem?

Yes it has to do with his IP address.  He needs to get an IP anomizer (sp... IP blocker) that will give him a  US IP address. These are easy to find, just Google it.

We actually have an US IP address through our internet provider which is De Lancer here in Sosua so no problems with E-Bay other than my wife spends too much time on the site :D

Bob K

Gracias Bob, will look into that option. I had suggested a VPN which is similar, but it seems that for EBay it has to be U.S. Canadian, or UK IP address. Thanks again.

If you do some research you will find the instructions for changing your default location for your browser.  It's been a while since I setup my computer and I only get Canadian dollars for most of my sites.  Occasionally there is a site that still shows me pesos but it's not very often.  Amazon, Ebay etc. all in Canadian dollars.

I have an  ebay account  here and use it all the time (in fact 5 minutes ago)  everything shows up in US dollars as my delivery address is my CPS account in Miami.  Maybe I got lucky......LOL

It has nothing to do with your delivery address on ebay.  It has to do with your browser settings.  When you go to a different country and connect to the internet, the internet provider grants you an IP address that is local.  Your browser picks up on this and provides details in the local language, currency etc.  If this is not your preference, you can hard code your settings so your browser does not respond to your changing locations (or your changing IP address).  This is done through settings for your browser but the settings are not obvious to the regular user.  You must look up the instructions by googling them and for your particular browser and follow them.  If you use multiple browsers you can do this for all of your browsers or only one browser giving you the option to view sites in other languages and currencies when you choose.  It gets a bit technical from here and a little off base for this post.  Bob provided a work around but you should be aware that changing your IP address changes your physical location and with some sites,and authorities you work with, this could be considered fraudulent.

DominicanadaMike thanks for the explanation.  Some internet providers (like de Lancer here on the north coast) automatically give you a US  IP address.

Bob K

BUT I am in La Romana on Claro Codetel and I have Ebay in US dollars honey????  I do not understand why.

Just for fun planner, try a browser you have not used before and see if you get the same results. If you get the same results, check your ip location. If it tells you that you are in the us your provider is creating a false location for you. Whether you are concerned about that or not is up to you. If you follow international law then i would say your IP address should be relative. I'm not an expert on the internet and international law but it would become an issue if the law was tracking you for any reason. Having said that, many people use altetnate proxies to pretend they are not where they are for all kinds of reasons. Some criminal, some not.

I know I don't as I have issues with  Paypal etc but not Ebay.  Its weird.

Thanks for all the responses guys, will be there in 2 weeks, will try it out then, thanks.

Wooo hoooooooooo   2 weeks.....

How long are you here for this time?

Bob K

The easiest solution is to use a VPN. I use a program called IPVanish. This allows you to connect through a server manually by selecting the server on a map. Using a VPN also enhances your security when using the internet It secures your computer's internet connection to guarantee that all of the data you're sending and receiving is encrypted and secured from prying eyes.You should definitely use one when you travel or work on an untrusted network (read: a network you don't own, manage, or trust who manages.) That means opening your laptop at the coffee shop and logging in to Facebook or using your phone's Wi-Fi to check your email at the airport can all potentially put you at risk. There are many reasons to use a VPN. Google (why should I use a VPN) There are also a lot of different ones you can download. Many are free, but the better ones you pay for.

This will be a quick visit Bob. 2 weeks in Punta Cana. I rented an apartment. I wanted to see  what they have done with the East Coast after not stepping foot on that side of the island for the past 15,years. Looking forward to the beach and little partying at the local night clubs, I like to dance like planner :D

Will probably be back in December or January for a longer stay.......simply taking a peek at the East Coast, I usually prefer Puerto Plata, but curiosity got the better part of me this time.....JeJeJe :cool:

I am available for dancing!!!!  LOL

Boy are you in for a shock if  you have not been in the PC area for 15 years.  It is much like the hotel zone in Cancun but with out a near by local town.

Bob K

Exactly true Bob,  it really is not Dominican......

I've said it before & I'll say it again: going to an all inclusive beach resort area is exactly the same experience world wide. Only the accents of the local employees will differ.  No, I repeat, no feeling or true knowledge of whatever country you are in, shall be seen, smelled, tasted or enjoyed. It will never be a representation of the actual life, people & culture.  Wherever you go, you can never say you were truly in that country.  If that is your bag, you're welcome to it.  Remember, Life is a one way trip, there is no round trip ticket.  So make the most of the adventures life has to offer.  Then you won't have to say, "Gosh, I wish that I had done that".   This is not directed to any one person, but to any who might come across this decision.

It is the way of many of us Gypsy,  everyone has their reasons for vacation and if a true picture of the culture is your aim, get outta the all inclusive.

Back to the original question, we have Canadian eBay account, use Dominican IP and never had any issues with that. You have to just do the personal setting on your eBay account, that's all.

As for Punta Cana area - is not much of a local experience, but some people prefer staying at the resort, that's  their choice. Some prefer more local experience, so they choose other parts of the island. Unfortunately some do not know this, don't do their search and go wherever their travel agent tells them to. Many are surprised that Dominican republic is not surrounded only by the Caribbean sea :)

Thanks Demi. I just got back from Punta Cana.....I must say I was somewhat impressed. I did not stay at the all inclusive.... I ended up renting in Pueblo Bavaro and boy it was interesting the first few days, but I got a chance to see a few local spots that were similar to Cabarete....very nice indeed. Will post an entire description of my adventure.

Glad you had a good time.  I look forward to you post on your experience

Bob K