Bulgarian Postal system

I've changed my mind. There are problems in Varna. And the main problem for me is Varna postal system.

Of course whether it's city wide, or whether I'm the “odd-one-out”, I don't know. But for some reason I've dropped off the radar when it comes to receiving mail via The Bulgarian Post Office.

There are at least 12 letters that were address to me, and have disappeared from the system before reaching the postal address on the letter.

These letters have been of local origin, and also from other countries within Europe.

The addresses were absolutely correct, and were written using the Cyrillic alphabet, and in another box the address was written using the Latin alphabet. The address format followed that advised by Bulgarian Post, and included the senders name & address.

The local letters were posted at a Bulgarian Post Office, with the Post Office staff confirming the address, the amount to be paid for Priority delivery, and the stamps were applied by the staff before being entered into the postal system.

These letters did not survive the 1 kilometer journey to my apartment.

What about the mail of other people within the building you ask!!

It would seem that other occupiers only have mail of an official capacity.. Vivacom, electric, water, insurance etc. All these commodity letters arrived with no problems.

The Post Office has been contacted as best I can. But I have the distinct feeling of being dismissed with explanations of system hiccoughs!!

The failure of the system is of great consequence to me. I have issues that can only be completed by receiving written correspondence. It has to be by postal service.

On deliberation I can only think that this problem has been caused by the apartment being sold, and is not deliberately aimed at annoying me.

Perhaps a breakdown in a system that “forwards” mail to the old owners new address. But unfortunately I am not in touch with the previous owner.

I presume that in Bulgaria any act of interference with mail is the same as other countries. And carries harsh  penalties.

The bottom line:- 12 of my letters have gone missing.

Perhaps an Expat member has had similar experiences, and can advise me of a simple fix!!

Any advise is so welcomed....

Best wishes... Mike

I am sorry that has happened to you, but I have had somewhat similar experiences.

My first location, the postal servants delivered my mail to my work, not my house (even though it was addressed to my house)... not really an issue, but it was a small town, and people talk, so everyone knowing when I got a package or letter was not ideal.

My second home in Varna was in a strange location, and my in-laws have not gotten mail there for 20 years. (They simply don't use the postal service). When I started to get letters I had to go to the post office and draw them a map to where I live. Still, the letters never arrived--- luckily I went to the post office to check and picked them up before they were 'sent back.'

My second Varna address was more or less the same... mail would come and they would fail to send a note to my house, so I had to regularly go check the post office.

My house in Gabrovo very few people get actual mail, and when I do, it comes at around 7 or 8 at night from a random guy (not a post office guy)... it is strange. I have lost at least 2 letters, but have received 4 or 5, so it is not a terrible percentage of failures... :(

Basically, my only advice is to have people mail letters to your post office instead of to you. Have them write your cell number on the letter, so the post can call you and let you know you have a letter. Then regularly check in at the post office for mail.

Very annoying, but a little more reliable. :)

Thanks for responding to my message Kojidae. You have given some good suggestions which I shall try tomorrow.
Me collecting them seems such a good idea. Even if it is a little more effort on my part...

Thanks again... Mike

I hope it works out for you.

Hi,,i have had similar problems with my post,,i sent a registered letter with legal documents in on 23rd July to UK,,which cost me alot of money to have legal documents translated to english,,they never arrived in UK,,i now have to travel 55km to Veliko Tarnovo were i posted them,to see if they can track them,,very,very annoyed,,I live in a rural village,so you have to collect any mail from post office yourself,,i had a birthday parcel sent from UK,,it took 2 months to get here,,,,so yes,like yourself,very wary about Postal service,,Regards eddie