Wondering what life is like as an expat, and how safe it really is?

Hi,
My name is Cate and my partner is considering a position in PNG based in POM. We would be travelling with our two children (11yo male 14yo female), and I guess I'm just wondering what life is like as an expat, and how safe it really is?

I'm anticipating it would be an amazing opportunity for us, but am worried about basically being stuck in the house while my partner is at work, and probably not having the freedom that we have here in Australia.

I also love going for walks (which I'm guessing is off the table in POM) and doing yoga

Does anyone also have any suggestions on what to do on weekends?

And reading through the posts, there seems to be a few people posting on the PNG forum from Mauritius... Are there quite a few Mauritian expats in PNG?
Cheers!

Hi Cate,

I have been in POM for a year now working for a Christian NGO.  You cannot be as casual as you are in Austr.  However with reasonable caution you can enjoy the city.  There are several well secured Expat shopping areas including a modern mall with stores, food court and movie theater with current shows.  There is a museum, a national botanical garden that many people got to for picnics and family.  There is also another family fun area called Adventure land that has some rides for the kids, animals and birds, a nice grounds for picnics and more.  There are usually craft markets a least a couple of weekends a month.  Crystal Rapis is about an hour away and place that is very beautiful to take the family fr an outing and swim and March Girls Beach Resort is about 30 minutes outside POM with beach side cabana, good food and ocean swimming. Shopping, though kind of expensive is okay with a few large department stores, expat grocery stores and a variety of more local stores.  You can get "almost" anything you want here.  All in all POM is better than it was a year ago and I think things are improving overall.  Please fell free to contact me with IM for more info if you wish.

Hi Cate,

I have created a separated thread with your post on the Papua New Guinea forum in order to encourage members to interact with you.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi Stevehigh,
Thanks for the info  :)
Sooooo much to research and take into consideration!
Any further info would be greatly appreciated  :)

Hi you can email me for more info *** We also have friends in Brisbane that Know PNG well, having lived here.  We might be able to connect you.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.