New to Abu Dhabi from UK

Hey everyone,

My name is Dan and I am from England. I'm 22 years old and have recently moved to Abu Dhabi for my job (working for an engineering company based in Mussafah).

Haven't made as many friends outside of work as I'd hoped so would really like to meet new people in the same(ish) situation as I am in! (new to Abu Dhabi, enjoys a drink etc etc).

Dan

Welcome to Expat.com, Dan :)

Well you know there are several topics about newcomers on the forum, so do not hesitate to browse the discussions and participate actively! I'm sure that you will quickly make some nice acquaintances here.

The cooler months are coming and I'm also sure that some nice outdoor activities will come up.

Cheers
Arlette

A great ex-pat drinking hole is the Captain's Arms at the old Meridian Hotel at the end of 7th (Electra) Street.  A great place with lovely gardens and friendly people where you can get a pint just like back home!  Enjoy!

Welcome to the ExpatBlog :) You'll meet a lot of nice people here and you can learn alot from other expat's experiences as well.

And as FeeAcer has said there are lots of topics here and helpful ones too.

Enjoy! :p

Dan the Man..

Downtown Ab Dabs on a Thursday night is not the same as going on the pi$$ around New Street. The authorities have cracked right down on (mainly Brits) who they find wandering around in a state of inebriation, resulting in arrest and summary deportation.

It's even been known for a taxi driver to pick up a pickled expat and take them directly round to the nearest police station. Beware.

In the UAE, if it feels good, DON'T do it. If you must do it, then do it in private.

Be careful...make sure you are with "right" friends when drinking outside...or better get some alcohol and drink with some friends in your flat...that's much safer...invite me too...haha, I'm knocked out already after 2 shots so im safe...hahahaha

Hello,

Make sure to keep your receipts when you drink outside and not to get caught when you drink privately (at home).

Cheers!

Paul

Rules relating to drinking in the UAE (seriously)
1. An Expat with a Residence visa is not allowed to drink at Public outlets unless he is in possession of a "Liqueur License"
2. Visitors to the UAE are only officially allowed to drink in the Hotel where they are staying.
As we all know - we drink anywhere regardless - but if you fall foul of the law for some other reason in a bar they will review if you have the above license.
Do yourself a favor and get the License......

Hi...
If you are working in Mussafah, go over to the souk beside the Shangri-la Hotel in Bain Al Jessrain.  Try eatting at the Sho Cho... it is very nice and relaxed.  I used to go there a lot before moving again.  A lot of people hang out at the hotels (Shangri-la and Traders)for drinks...

Hey brother my name is sujay im from India working for Etihad as Technician from past one year.
As you im also looking for some good friends who wants to spend good time, shear ideas of how to become successful in life.. and help others as many ways as possible.

Thanks and hope to talk with you soon
Sujay Babu
050 1229384
[email protected]

welcome to the world for fun place

Hi everyone, if you are all still in Abu Dhabi, why not take a look at this:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104022

And see if you can join us :)

Mohit

Hi Dan in almost identical situation. I flew into Abu Dhabi for work Wednesday 27th August and have yet met anyone my age (22 years old) from UK. If still keen could be good to catch a beer sometime?

@ Simon101 > Just to inform you that this thread is old (2010) and that the initiator did not participate on the forum since 2010.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers: