Red Sludge disaster

Hi,

Two things concerning the Red Sludge disaster in Veszprem country:

We have 4 dead, hundreds injured, and thousands (whole villages) who lost their home and all possessions. The safest way to contribute to aid efforts is by following the instruction on the Hungarian Red Cross website:
www.voroskereszt.hu
(as always, beware the scammers)

On the other hand while the disaster is tragic and devastating in the directly affected area, and the locals deserve all the aid and help people can spare, this is no reason to avoid Hungary altogether.

Containment, neutralization and collection efforts are reported to be effective, and the amount of water in the Danube (~2000 m^3 each second!) simply dilutes the remaining traces of heavy metals beyond recognition.

I stick this discussion

I hope the situation will soon get better. Please keep us informed

There will be a big charity event for this disaster on December 4th:
redmudaid.org

I think it's about time to unstick this.

Discussion unsticked.

unsticked or unstuck, a tough question for grammarians!

I think you made the right call, Christine, using unsticked - it sounds a bit funny, but not half as wacky, as unstuck.

Enough of the sludge for now.

logger wrote:

unsticked or unstuck, a tough question for grammarians!

I think you made the right call, Christine, using unsticked - it sounds a bit funny, but not half as wacky, as unstuck.

Enough of the sludge for now.

In German, it's probably "ungestickt".

Maybe it's "de-sticked", like de-plane favoured in the USA.

But for the British, perhaps even dis-sticked (like disembarked), although it sounds clumsy.

my preference is de-sticked as distict from dis-sticked.

unsticked is still the most literal and hence correct, as I'm sure Christine would agree.

well, it's called a sticky, maybe it should be unsticky-ed  (unstickied) :P

octobop wrote:

well, it's called a sticky, maybe it should be unsticky-ed  (unstickied) :P

I reckon this is maybe a British vs American English debate.

I think "un-stickied" sounds more British and "de-stickied" sounds more American.

I also wonder why I have time to think about this when I should be doing something more useful.

actually, I'd go with destickied - it implies more of an act done TO it by an administrator, rather than unstickied, which seems to me to be something that just happens (pulling something off the wall vs. it falling off itself by laws of nature).

I'll never pass up an opportunity to dissect grammar, be it real or imagined!  :lol:

thanks guys, I learnt a lot today :rolleyes:

The BBC has made an programme about the Red Sludge disaster. It's available to listen online. You may need to install Flash to listen to the programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00j6vgv

One Planet - Hungary's Toxic Spill, Broadcast 4:32 Saturday, 6th August - We visit western Hungary and find out how the area hit by toxic sludge is recovering