Working hours?

Hi guys.
I've been in Riyadh for a week now, and spent 5 days in the office so far, is it normal to work 13 to 14 hours a day in this part of the world? Or am I getting done in here?

I haven't been back to the house before 10pm yet, and some mornings I have to be at work at 7am.

As I am sure you can guess I am bit worried about this as it seems I will have absolutley no private life here.

Chilly wrote:

Hi guys.
I've been in Riyadh for a week now, and spent 5 days in the office so far, is it normal to work 13 to 14 hours a day in this part of the world? Or am I getting done in here?

I haven't been back to the house before 10pm yet, and some mornings I have to be at work at 7am.

As I am sure you can guess I am bit worried about this as it seems I will have absolutley no private life here.

hmmm this is really weird and unusual in this part of the world I would say... :-)
Especially if you consider the prayers - 5 times a day which means that absolutely noone answers the phone and everything is closed for at least half an hour.
Few days ago I spoke to an Egyptian guy who asked me how long do I stay at work daily and he was really surprised when I replied - usually 8 but sometimes more... He said - this is too much! :-)
But everything depends on your work contract I think - you better check what you have signed. Good luck.

I work 6 days (Sat-Thurs) from 5:30 to 5:30 give or take.  Goes with the territory.  Worked the nearly the same hours when I was in India but often worked from the hotel on Sundays. Little to do anyway.  However, if we worked in Bahrain then the massive hours would be harder to stomach because there are distractions there.

Curt

mar8276 wrote:
Chilly wrote:

Hi guys.

hmmm this is really weird and unusual in this part of the world I would say... :-)
Especially if you consider the prayers - 5 times a day which means that absolutely noone answers the phone and everything is closed for at least half an hour.
Few days ago I spoke to an Egyptian guy who asked me how long do I stay at work daily and he was really surprised when I replied - usually 8 but sometimes more... He said - this is too much! :-)
But everything depends on your work contract I think - you better check what you have signed. Good luck.

yup i agree with mar... or maybe you are just like one of my coworker...he works even weekends without pay..hahaha

i just want to  work rather to stay at home..so basically we works almost everyday..hehehe:D:D:D:D

In South Africa we would put in about 9 hours a day, 5 days a week with the odd bit if extra time if required. I am still at the office now, been here since 7am and expected to stay until 9pm. All of the staff are here. Contract says nothing about hours I am afraid, I guess it's a case of like it or lump it.